Painting Fondant- Help!

Decorating By pehumphrey89 Updated 11 Nov 2013 , 2:00am by mfeagan

pehumphrey89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pehumphrey89 Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a birthday cake that looks like a fireball whiskey bottle. The "character" is very detailed. I've been really trying to think of ways to get around painting fondant because I've tried it before and wasn't happy with the results.... i've come up with no other ideas. When I first tried to paint fondant I mixed powered colors with vodka and painted the fondant, let it dry and attempted to apply another coat (since it was still not dark enough) and it seems as though it just pulls the first layer of paint right off! Even after letting it dry (as long as a whole day). Also I have painted in small strokes and it seems as though that still does nothing. And the character is a deep red and from research red seems to be the most difficult color to master (which really isn't working in my favor for this cake). So I'm looking for suggestions on another method I could try, and if not how I can paint the fondant so it doesn't look streaky.

2 replies
CakeChemistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChemistry Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 3

AUse cocoa butter as a carrier. Keep your paint pallet over a bowl with hot water in to melt the cocoa butter. Mix ur lustre dusts into the cocoa butter and paint in. The butter firms back up as it cools. Obviously don't let your cake be placed in direct sunlight afterwards

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 2:00am
post #3 of 3

AYou can also take a Craftsy course on hand painting. I got it free. There are a few free classes they offer and that was one. Not sure if it still is, but it is worth a look. It was very helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%