Coloring Of Fondant

Decorating By mochamoe82 Updated 6 Nov 2013 , 8:35am by kiwimiriam

mochamoe82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mochamoe82 Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 7

I would love to make the colors on my fondant cakes pop more, I normally use traditional wilton coloring any suggestions on brands I could use make colors more vibrant. Also what ways to get gold and silver, I want to make a things look shiny the shimmer dust doesn't work as well. HELP!!

6 replies
th97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
th97 Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 7

Are you making the fondant yourself? If so I find that adding (melted) coloured candy melts to the melted marshmallows can help - I've used it myself for red and black MMF and it worked a treat.  I still add some food colouring as well but need nowhere near as much.  For the black I found chocolate melts worked well enough with some black food colouring to give a nice deep black.

HTH!

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 4 Nov 2013 , 12:50am
post #3 of 7

Lecithin added to fondant or buttercream will make your colors much more vibrant and truer to what they should be. 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 4 Nov 2013 , 5:38am
post #4 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by mochamoe82 

I would love to make the colors on my fondant cakes pop more, I normally use traditional wilton coloring any suggestions on brands I could use make colors more vibrant. Also what ways to get gold and silver, I want to make a things look shiny the shimmer dust doesn't work as well. HELP!!

I find Americolor colors to work very well for strong, vibrant colors. 

Can't really make gold & silver without painting or dusting--I use Americolor airbrush gold/silver or dry dust yellow/grey fondant with Crystal Colors edible gold/silver luster dust [sugarpaste.com].  For small applications, I mix the dust with lemon extract or Everclear & paint.

Shimmer dust [by Wilton] has a high corn starch component and doesn't do much.  Better to invest in edible, FDA approved luster dust by The Sugar Art or Crystal Colors.

mochamoe82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mochamoe82 Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 12:59am
post #5 of 7

thanks for all the suggestions guys im a try a little of it all to see what helps

mama miya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama miya Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 7

AI use chefmaster gel colors for my fondant & i believe i can attain the colors i want. For gold & silver, i just use americolor sheen but i am not contented w/ it.

kiwimiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwimiriam Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 8:35am
post #7 of 7

I use Americolor for my colouring.  If you do use the brighter colours be aware that they may fade if stored in direct sunlight.  So keep covered or away from direct sunlight, or perhaps test first to make sure there is no fading.  Purple is very prone to fading so be careful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%