Molding Chocolate Question

Decorating By rociodbb Updated 5 Nov 2013 , 3:25pm by newbiebakermum7

rociodbb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rociodbb Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 2:47am
post #1 of 3

I´m planning to do an Angry Birds Star Wars cake in December. Some of the characters are dark and thus I thought of modeling with chocolate instead of fondant to save on black coloring. It would be my first time modeling with chocolate, and I would need to know if it´s too early to start making the characters or if the pieces will last at least until mid December without problem.

Any other advice or link where I could gather more information will also be greatly appreciated!

2 replies
mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 3

here is a cake central thread that might help you!

http://cakecentral.com/t/738623/modeling-choc-figures-how-far-in-advance

newbiebakermum7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbiebakermum7 Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 3

AHi rociodbb,

I made moulded lego bricks using candy melts, coconut oil and wilton colouring. They kept well boxed in the fridge (with plenty of kitchen roll to absorb any moisture). I used liquid glucose in the remainder of the choc/candy mix, allowed to cool and kneaded to form various colours of modelling chocolate (each colour reacts differently: some leach out a lot of oil, others not so much- nothing that kitchen roll cant handle!). I wrapped each colour in cling film and it keeps for at least 3 mths- just give it a knead to get it pliable again. I prob wouldn't form complete figures too far in advance tho in case some colours bleed (esp. darker colours). I dare say you could make the components and use edible glue the day before to finish assembly? :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%