Gumpaste Flowers And Floral Tape...

Decorating By novakern Updated 2 Nov 2013 , 1:07pm by costumeczar

novakern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novakern Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 13

I'm making gumpaste magnolias. They look gorgeous (if i do say so myself:) but i can never seem to wrap the floral tape or the wires tight enough.  the petals and leaf move around like crazy unless i have it laying on a surface. Is this normal since it will eventually lay on a cake?

thanks in advance

12 replies
cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 13

ANo. Are you gluing the wires? Generally if mine swivel my paste is too thick.

novakern Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 13

You mean gluing it to the petals? yes. not gluing them together if that's something you are supposed to do. You think maybe I should use heavier gauge wire? I can't see making the petals any thinner.

cupcakemaker Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 13

AYes I meant brushing with glue before pushing in. I use 28 gauge. What are you using?

novakern Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 11:03am
post #5 of 13

26 gauge. maybe I'm pushing the wire in too far?

cupcakemaker Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 13

AI push it 1/2 way. Are you creating a wedge for the wire?

novakern Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 13

that's what i'm doing. and i have a cel board. thanks so much for spending the time answering me. maybe its just practice with the tape? i feel all thumbs when i get to that part. somehow i feel that it would work better wrapping all the stems with wire 1st and then putting the tape on top

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 10:36pm
post #8 of 13

AI have to tell you, your not alone, I have the same exact problem. I hope someone has a miracle trick or tip for us!! but I have the feeling it's going to be practice, practice lol.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 11:08pm
post #9 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by novakern 
somehow i feel that it would work better wrapping all the stems with wire 1st and then putting the tape on top

Do each one at a time, it will make your flower more secure. If you tape them all together, the heaviness of the petals will cause them to all shift to the bottom as gravity pulls them down when they are on your cake. Start with your center and wrap it twice around with your tape, then add each petal, going around the wire 1 complete time before adding another petal. After you're finished adding petals, continue to wrap the stem all the way down. It does go by feel, you'll get it. Make sure you stretch your floral tape before you start wrapping to activate the glue. I have 2 magnolia's in my pictures if it helps! 

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 11:33pm
post #10 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixinarow 

Do each one at a time, it will make your flower more secure. If you tape them all together, the heaviness of the petals will cause them to all shift to the bottom as gravity pulls them down when they are on your cake. Start with your center and wrap it twice around with your tape, then add each petal, going around the wire 1 complete time before adding another petal. After you're finished adding petals, continue to wrap the stem all the way down. It does go by feel, you'll get it. Make sure you stretch your floral tape before you start wrapping to activate the glue. I have 2 magnolia's in my pictures if it helps! 

This is pretty much what I do but with larger petals I use egg white instead of gum glue.  Magnolias are heavy flowers. I use a 26g wire except the largest petals I use a 24g.  I don't touch them for 24hrs to completely set up before wiring to the center. I also find that if you tape your middle first and then add your petals one at a time,  the tape holds the wire very secure.  Hope this helps a little

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 11:41pm
post #11 of 13

AYeah, one petal at a time and go slow. I also wire my petals like this so that they're more secure and you don't have to worry about a wedge: http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2011/03/wiring-gumpaste-quick-way.html

Are you using a fabric covered wire to wire the petals or a naked wire? If you're using naked wire get fabric covered or the floral tape won't grip them.

cupcakemaker Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 12:10am
post #12 of 13

AMy wires are paper covered.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 1:07pm
post #13 of 13

A

Original message sent by cupcakemaker

My wires are paper covered.

I figured, just thought it was worth asking because plain wire is really hard to tape!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%