Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Decorating By joyfullnoize Updated 1 Jul 2015 , 4:56pm by Jinkies

joyfullnoize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullnoize Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 5

Quick Question:

Do fondant accents on a Swiss Meringue Buttercream iced cake hold up well.  Or is the SMBC to soft...would it be okay in the fridge?

Thanks in advance.

4 replies
KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 5

I have put fondant accents on SMBC without an issue, and I've refrigerated the cakes without an issue.  I have made sure the fondant decor is fairly firm or complete set before placing it.

The only thing to watch for is IF the SMBC has an opportunity to get really really soft, then you may experience some "slide" of any fondant accents that are on the side of the cake.

But...considering the time of year and the fact that you're in Ontario, I don't think that will be a problem.  :D

joyfullnoize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullnoize Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathleenC 

I have put fondant accents on SMBC without an issue, and I've refrigerated the cakes without an issue.  I have made sure the fondant decor is fairly firm or complete set before placing it.

The only thing to watch for is IF the SMBC has an opportunity to get really really soft, then you may experience some "slide" of any fondant accents that are on the side of the cake.

But...considering the time of year and the fact that you're in Ontario, I don't think that will be a problem.  :D

thank you very much, Kathleen for your help.  It is appreciated.

SandyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyH Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 5

I am assembling my daughter's birthday cake Friday afternoon, for her party on Saturday. It is a cherry vanilla cake with Swiss Meringue Buttercream which I will pipe in stars on the surface of the cake. Will refrigerating this cake overnight, after it is iced, be ok? I don't want it to "sweat" nor do I want it to soften too much after I take it out the next day to allow it to come to room temperature  before serving.  I've used SMB before, but I did not refrigerate it, so I just don't know. Thanks to all you pros!

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 5

I refrigerate SMBC all the time and never had an issue.  It shouldn't soften up any more than what you started with unless it's super duper hot out and it melts :)

Just make sure to give your cake enough time to come to room temp before serving.  It is sooooo much yummier at room temp!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%