'food Grade Mold' Recipe

Baking By blwilley Updated 9 May 2017 , 10:31am by -K8memphis

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 4:20am
post #31 of 158

Thank You. You are most generous!

I live in Singapore and being able to do this with ingredients from my kitchen is wonderful. Shipping costs from halfway across the world are exhorbitant!

Karen

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 5:20am
post #32 of 158

Quote:

Originally Posted by blwilley 

JWinslow, while you are in a teaching mood, how do I bring up the 'Quote' box that you keep using, appears so much easier than rewriting, or copy & paste, all the time.  Yhanks in advance!

Sorry I took awhile to get back to you.  If you look at the right lower corner of each post, you will see three boxes.  MULTI  QUOTE  REPLY.

Find the post you want to quote and click on the quote button it automatically put the post in your reply.  You can edit from there. 

Let me know if this helped.  You can experiment with this post. :smile:

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 11:49am
post #33 of 158

I have to throw adulthood to the curb for a second and giggle, all the images on the first page look like boobs/nipples, esp the ones with the two tone colours hhehehehe

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 6:55pm
post #34 of 158

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tails 

I have to throw adulthood to the curb for a second and giggle, all the images on the first page look like boobs/nipples, esp the ones with the two tone colours hhehehehe

I thought so too! lol! I was trying to be mature, but I am glad you said it!

blwilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blwilley Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 8:21pm
post #35 of 158

Sorry J., but the only thing in my lower rt. corner is the word reply.  So I hit it.  Just now I was scanning/panning over the emblems above this box, and clicked on the quotation marks emblem.  It gave me the box below.  Now what do I do with it?  Apparently NOT what you were talking about.

Quote: 

Wonder why it is not there?  I copied & pasted below, yours to me, so you could see what was in the entire box.

11/4/13 at 9:20pm

• 80x80px-LS-db57fc35_Asian_1.jpeg
Quote:

Sorry I took awhile to get back to you.  If you look at the right lower corner of each post, you will see three boxes.  MULTI  QUOTE  REPLY.

Find the post you want to quote and click on the quote button it automatically put the post in your reply.  You can edit from there.

blwilley Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 8:24pm
post #36 of 158

Quote:

Sorry J., but the only thing in my lower rt. corner is the word reply.  So I hit it.  Just now I was scanning/panning over the emblems above this box, and clicked on the quotation marks emblem.  It gave me the box below.  Now what do I do with it?  Apparently NOT what you were talking about.

Wonder why it is not there?  I copied & pasted below, yours to me, so you could see what was in the entire box.

11/4/13 at 9:20pm

• 80x80px-LS-db57fc35_Asian_1.jpeg

UREEEKA!  PAYDIRT, now they all seem to have them!!  Hope it stays that way.  Thanks so much!

blwilley Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 8:34pm
post #37 of 158

JWinslow

The one I copied to send to you did not have the 3 extra emblems at the bottom at the time, but they were there only after I hit submit, and it showed up as a post.  THEN they WERE there.  Now when I go backward, every post is showing them, so thanks for you help.

andrewfrank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrewfrank Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 11:16am
post #38 of 158

thanks for the sharing this post.

blwilley Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 11:24pm
post #39 of 158

Hi all,

I found a piece of trim, done by hand, in my mom's stuff.  Since I am not crazy about the color, I decided to use it to experiment on.  As it turned out, it was not a very good choice for this project, not uniform in pattern size, too flimsy, & just not enough substance.  But I was able to get it too work.  I cut the trim piece to 6 1/2".  I used Tacky Glue to hold the trim to the waxed paper that was lining the plastic plate that I used.   I will need to use a release agent next time, because I tore the trim piece getting it out of the mold, though it could be that it was just too old-sigh.  I applied cornstarch before putting in the gumpaste , which worked out ok, but the mold was not firm enough to allow for using a pallet knife to remove the excess, so I had to use just enough paste to fill the design.  I hope to be able to try it again soon with a piece of decent lace.  Here are some pics of this project.

IowaBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IowaBaker Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 6:06am
post #40 of 158

Quote:

Hi all,

I found a piece of trim, done by hand, in my mom's stuff.

If you're curious, that kind of lace is called tatting. I've done it, although not recently. My favorite item I've made is a cross shaped bookmark based on one I found in a bible of my grandmother's. I don't have the patience to make a doily or edge a pillowcase, but I was able to do a little bookmark in 2 1/2 hours.

blwilley Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 8:47pm
post #41 of 158

HELLO IOWABAKER!

Thanks for that tidbit.  I did know that, once upon a time, but had forgotten!  I had a great aunt come over from Norway once, oh, just a few years back when I was a child(lol), she was old and she was blind, but her fingers never stopped, as she produced reams of this stuff, done in the smallest little designs, and in an off white color.  They were simply beautiful!  Nothing like this sample here.  So thanks again for the memory.

My "Quote" box at the bottom is missing again.

blwilley Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 9:05pm
post #42 of 158

HELP!   ANYONE!!

The "multi" & "Quote" boxes keep disappearing from the bottom of the boxes, only the "Reply" button is there.  The missing ones only show up after I make a post, then disappear shortly thereafter, leaving only the reply box, again.  Any ideas why this is?  Is the same thing happening on your end?  I got the impression from another member, that they should be there all the time?  Know how I can get help with this?  I am going to hit the "report this post" flag, as soon as I post this, and maybe that will get me an answer.  Sure hope so.

Brooks321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brooks321 Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 1:37pm
post #43 of 158

Thanks for sharing. It looks so amazing!

blwilley Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 1:55am
post #44 of 158

UPDATE TIME!

My original mold disappeared for a while, could not find it anywhere.  A few days ago, I was cleaning out the basement frig, and there it was, in a container, just sitting on top of some buttercream.  Then I remembered taking it to my last Wilton class to show to the girls there.  We were in a hurry to clean up, so I just dropped it in a container & popped on the lid, knowing I could clean it off as soon as I got home... never happened!  That was the night before Halloween. 

Back to more pertinent info:  The mold washed off easily.  I rinsed it off quickly with cold water, then dried it.  The texture, and flexibility, did not seem to have been affected.  Perhaps the frig is the best way to store these after all, in an airtight container (& SITTING ON BUTTERCREAM-lol).

ON THE OTHER HAND, one of the other molds that I made came into contact with water for a while, and did begin to soften, so I cut it up, put it in my extras container, to melt & reuse next time I want to do a mold.

The others all seem to be holding up pretty well also, so far.  When I compared textures, I think I like the first one best, the one I did with the syrup included in the recipe.  The color is a hair lighter also.  I have not kept any of them in the frig, so maybe that also is affecting the way they feel, just not quite as soft & smooth, as the first one.  But remember, that one spent about a month in the frig! 

All in all, a positive report for now.  Will keep you posted if any soften, become moldy, or deteriorate in any way.  They are all being stored at room temp still, at least for now, for test purposes-haha.  Not bad for a temporary mold. 

Annabakescakes Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 4:57am
post #45 of 158

AVery cool! I wish I could have found some lace to make a mold from, considering I just spent $200 on some lace molds!

goldgame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldgame Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 6:58am
post #46 of 158

Welcome to  have more fun game waiting for you  http://www.gpors.com  http://www.mmorsgp.com   http://www.utfifa.co.uk  http://www.rsore.com

rexygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rexygirl Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 3:25pm
post #47 of 158

AI'm so excited to find this thread! Do u think it would work if I put some of the mold stuff down let it half set up and push in my object ( I wanted to do some studs like from a studded jacket) then fill in the rest I just don't know if I would be able to glue the studs to the bottom of the container Regardless if it works for that project I'm totally trying this for something!!

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 4:33pm
post #48 of 158

AI am so going to try this! ;-D thank you! Blwilley

blwilley Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 11:09pm
post #49 of 158

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexygirl 

I'm so excited to find this thread! Do u think it would work if I put some of the mold stuff down let it half set up and push in my object ( I wanted to do some studs like from a studded jacket) then fill in the rest I just don't know if I would be able to glue the studs to the bottom of the container Regardless if it works for that project I'm totally trying this for something!!

I haven't tried this, but it sets up pretty fast in the frig, so it just might work.

IF the object is not so heavy that it sinks! lol  PLEASE let me know if it works for you.

I also have a lot of stuff that I can use, just wasn't thinking about it, because it was in a 'pourable' format.

blwilley Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 5:53am
post #50 of 158

Quote:

I'm so excited to find this thread! Do u think it would work if I put some of the mold stuff down let it half set up and push in my object ( I wanted to do some studs like from a studded jacket) then fill in the rest I just don't know if I would be able to glue the studs to the bottom of the container Regardless if it works for that project I'm totally trying this for something!!

I decided to try pouring the mold first, then setting the object on it to see if it would work.  That is what you had in mind???

I am the impatient type, so to speed things up, I poured ice water in a bowl.

Melted some of the leftover mold material, & poured it into a small plastic container, which I set in the ice water to help it to setup faster.

I immediately pushed the bauble to be molded onto the top of the mixture, as far in as I wanted, then held it there for about 5 minutes so It wouldn't sink in further, then put it in the frig to finish cooling. 

100_8634.JPG?width=750

20 minutes later, it came out of the frig, and out of the plastic container with ease, once I broke the suction around the edges.

100_8636.JPG?width=750

I pulled the mold away from the edges of the beads, instead of trying to pull them out of the mold.  It released easily that way.  Then the gumpaste went in.

100_8651.JPG?width=750

Here you have the end result.  This was using the mold material that has been re-melted for the third time.  Still feels very flexible, like the original.  Hope this helped to answer a few more questions.

100_8653.JPG?width=750

rexygirl Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 2:25am
post #51 of 158

AOh my goodness!!! You're the best!! That's exactly what I was thinking I'm gonna try it out this weekend I will definetly post some pics up! I might try both ways

blwilley Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 4:08am
post #52 of 158
Quote:

Oh my goodness!!! You're the best!! That's exactly what I was thinking I'm gonna try it out this weekend I will definetly post some pics up! I might try both ways

Thank you!

As you can see in the last picture, I did not have the pin quite flush in the mold mix.  So the detail on half of the petals holding the pearls is not as defined as the other half.  So keep that in mind.  As flush & even as possible.  I am ALWAYS impatient, so can not keep still-lol.

Have fun, & be sure to post those pics!!

rexygirl Posted 21 Dec 2013 , 2:52am
post #53 of 158

AOk finally getting to this blwilley thank you so much my cake turned out awesome and was the hit of the party! And everyone was so interested in how I made all the studs!! So I made the original recipe and it worked great i put the studs into a solo cup and slowly pored the mold mix in!! [[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3156362/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3156366/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3156367/width/350/height/700[/IMG] Thanks again!!!! Can't wait to use this for like a million more things!!

blwilley Posted 21 Dec 2013 , 3:44am
post #54 of 158
Quote:

Ok finally getting to this blwilley thank you so much my cake turned out awesome and was the hit of the party! And everyone was so interested in how I made all the studs!! So I made the original recipe and it worked great i put the studs into a solo cup and slowly pored the mold mix in!!
[ WOW!  This is one AWESOME cake!
  I am so pleased that you liked it!!
  You did a great job!!  They look perfect!
Thanks again!!!! Can't wait to use this for like a million more things!!

You are so very, very welcome!  And thank you for posting these terrific photos.  I am so glad someone, besides me, finally got to use the molds!  Hooray!!

Annabakescakes Posted 21 Dec 2013 , 4:41am
post #55 of 158

Wow, those look awesome! I am excited to try this!

rexygirl Posted 22 Dec 2013 , 1:41am
post #56 of 158

AThanks so much for the kind words blwilley!!

blwilley Posted 22 Dec 2013 , 2:24am
post #57 of 158

Rexygirl

Just remember, that if this were a one time only project, you can remelt the molds at any time, to make new molds.  Have fun, and thanks again for the update

And Merry Christmas!

rexygirl Posted 22 Dec 2013 , 2:29am
post #58 of 158

AThanks yes actually I goofed up the first one when one of my studs slid and turned sideways (i didn't realize till it was set) so I melted it back down and tried again it was perfect!! And I'm already planning to melt them down for a friends frozen themed cake in a few weeks, I'm thinking icicles and snowflakes!!

blwilley Posted 22 Dec 2013 , 2:29am
post #59 of 158

HO!  HO!  HO!

Wishing EVERYONE out there a Very Merry Christmas!

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 22 Dec 2013 , 11:13am
post #60 of 158

Thanks so much for posting this, I wanted to buy a number of different lace molds but they were so expensive I haven't been able to justify the cost for a one off cake.  I have been doing some research on the internet and found this post, should have known to come here first!  My Mum also has some beautiful brooches that I know she will let me borrow to practice.  I love the idea of making different designs other than the ones that are all over the internet that anybody can buy.  Thanks for your hard work you have just saved me a lot of time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%