Competition Work Nightmare

Decorating By paperlace1 Updated 1 Nov 2013 , 3:13pm by paperlace1

paperlace1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paperlace1 Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 9:26am
post #1 of 9

feeling so fed up and have lost all direction with my competition work. I have had no end of problems with humidity and have had to box everything in card board  and re-dry most of my flowers. yesterday i wanted to start assembling my sprays and do the engineering  for the display. when i opened one of my boxes with casa-blanca lilies in it they had not survived the re-drying and had lost all there shape - basically they were dead. these were meant to be my focal point. so i have lost my direction and my incentive. these lilies were life size and i think the petals were too big and too thin to survive the humidity issues.

But i cant work work out where the humidity is coming from so i am just goiing around in circles. i have spent about £100 on this project so far and it is just 11 days away. i have no focal flower and am at a loss as to what to do about it - i stll have leaves and filler flowers to produce - if anyone has any suggestion on a flower that will that is quick and robust and can be produced in life size to fit the scale of everything else   i would really appreciate it.

8 replies
CherriesonTop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherriesonTop Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 10:02am
post #2 of 9

I don't have a flower suggestion but I use a dehumidifier to control the humidity in my kitchen and I run it on complete removal 24hrs a day. It has resolved my fondant and gum paste issues and was well worth the expense. I hope this is some help to you.

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 10:04am
post #3 of 9

AI can't help you with easy flowers, but one time I had humidity problems I couldn't figure out. my daughter is a pharmacist and brought home a bunch of those little things they put in pill bottles to keep them dry( forgot the name) anyways made my stufff over and put it in a sealed container with a few of those, worked like a charm. the pharmacy throws those things away,I keep a bag of them on hand just in case. hth

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 9

AYou are the only one who knows what your original design was going to be. If you have to change it due to the loss of the flowers, don't beat yourself up. Keep your chin up! :-)

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 9

Oh no!

What make of flowerpaste have you made your flowers from that they've suffered so badly?

I do hope you can re-do the design and still enter the competition. 

Good luck!!

Suzanne x

ps: I think the previous poster may have been thinking of the silica gel sachets?  I bought some from eBay and put them in the boxes with my wedding cake dummies to help keep them dry....

paperlace1 Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 9

the flower paste i am using is squires kitchen. i am trying to keep everything stored in cardboard storage boxes with silica. but the past few weeks everything is going to pot. I know i am good at last minuet when i have to be but producing competition standard flowers takes time essepecially the colouring. 

I just dont know what to do to keep things on track. now that i have had to ditch my casa-blanca lilyies i am making arum lilies i am hoping that because the paste can be thicker that they will survive. but this means changing my display too because i cant get 12 blooms into the the pot i have made. 

So today i have started on a box which i plan to do in black and gold .

If anything else goes wrong i will have to drop out-  

cakestomuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestomuch Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 5:25am
post #7 of 9

ACan you add more tylose? Will they still wilt from the humidity even after they have initially dried?

CakeChemistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChemistry Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 7:39am
post #8 of 9

APaper lace where do you live in uk?

paperlace1 Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by CakeChemistry 

Paper lace where do you live in uk?

barnsley south yorkshire

Quote by @%username% on %date%