Best Type Of Fondant To Use

Decorating By nlittle Updated 27 Oct 2013 , 10:04pm by MBalaska

nlittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nlittle Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 12

So im not much of a baker. and im making a cake for my fiance who is a gun enthusiast. and hunting enthusiast. The cake im making is going to have a shot gun on it. But i want the detail on it to stand out just like the mold has on it. Which fondant would be best to use for that?

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 12

what kind of mold do you have?

nlittle Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 12

A2 cavity mold plus 1 bullet, measures 9" X 2 3/4" wide.  

-K8memphis Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 12

so is this a mold for chocolate? is it a stiff mold or a flexible mold?

if it's not a flexible mold then you might not get a lot of texture in the fondant--if it's a stiff, solid mold made for chocolates then why not do it in chocolate?

you might get better definition if you use marzipan but getting  it out of the mold might be a chore--but i'm just guessing that it's a chocolate mold--not flexible--

otherwise if it flexes--any fondant should do--i knead in cornstarch to help it dry crisp-- a lot of my peers would add tylose powder to help it dry crisp--and to get good results you need to knead the fondant for several minutes to get it all warmed up and stretchy

nlittle Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 12

AIt is used for choc. I looked all over the internet decent gun molds and I can't find anything at all. When I came across the shot gun that wasn't microscopic I was set on it.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 12

nlittle: Lucky find for you.  I've always kept my eye out for gun/hunting molds and rarely find them. Never found a candy mold for a shotgun!

And If it's a candy/chocolate mold, use confectioners coating chocolate not fondant.  Every tiny detail will be perfect with chocolate and the firm chocolate piece will more closely replicate a shiny metal gun, than a soft pliable piece of fondant.

There are several handgun and rifle cookie cutters, especially in copper.

automatic handgun

nlittle Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 12

AI got it from confectioneryhouse.com

-K8memphis Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 12

you could also try to use candy clay also called modelling chocolate--because you can get most of your definition and texture and you can add details afterward too

you just add corn syrup to melted choco--be sure they are about the same temperature--stir it on purpose it sets up quick--just find any recipe--you can color it different colors too--

hey, the light bulb just went off in my head--that's what you meant by which kind of 'fondant' --

you probably wanna chill it to get it out of the mold---you could possibly de-mold it with a warm towel placed on the mold side and quickly whapping it on the table--

and you can smooth out booboos with the warmth of your hand-

you would let it set up then roll out a piece to squish in there--

melted choco would be easier probably--there's a little learning curve to either way

nlittle Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 12

AThank you sooooo much. Do they sell stuff to add color to it after its done?

-K8memphis Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 8:38pm
post #10 of 12

i would add the color as you melt the stuff--powdered color would be the easiest or 'candy' color which is oil based to work better with chocolate--

you can buy already colored chocolate too--that would be easiest! if you need different shades of grey or brown or whatever--mix some white in --

nlittle Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 12

AYou are amazing! Thank you

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 10:04pm
post #12 of 12

that mold is for a kind of a sawed off rifle, but the mold is specifically a plastic chocolate mold. Good Luck. He's going to like it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%