Start A Cake Business (Need Advice...please Help)

Decorating By dreamycakes1 Updated 27 Oct 2013 , 8:46pm by CherriesonTop

dreamycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamycakes1 Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 6:09am
post #1 of 12

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to begin a home based Cake business. I need some advice from you all to get customer. I don't have any customers at this moment, just doing the free service to my family and friends (thinking their guest can be a potential customer).. But I'm not sure that will bring the customers. 

I didn't do any wedding cakes. So I don't have any cakes to put it in my portfolio. So How do I promote my business to the wedding couples. Should I do some demo cakes and take photos?

Also, If I feel comfortable to do any type of cake, Is it right to put those cakes pictures (that I found it online) on the sample pictures?

Thanks

11 replies
cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 10:40am
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamycakes1 

I didn't do any wedding cakes. So I don't have any cakes to put it in my portfolio. So How do I promote my business to the wedding couples. Should I do some demo cakes and take photos?

Yes, you need to show that you are capable of doing wedding cakes and build a portfolio. 

CherriesonTop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherriesonTop Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 10:48am
post #3 of 12

Quote:

Also, If I feel comfortable to do any type of cake, Is it right to put those cakes pictures (that I found it online) on the sample pictures?

Yes I would do some sample cakes, but I would not use pictures of another cake designers cakes on my website

Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spireite Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 10:57am
post #4 of 12

If you are short of pics for a portfolio do you have any cake dummies, if so, do a base colour, and then make different ribbons and flowers and arrange them differently...if not do a simply/plainly decorated cake so from one cake  you could get 3-4 photos from.  Blue tak/white tak works to attach different things on to it.

Good luck

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 12

AIt's also very important to research the local laws & guidelines for starting a home bakery. Check to see if there is a cottage food law.

dreamycakes1 Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 12

Thank you all...I'm planning to do dummy cakes and take photos...will post you guys after I done them. Thank again for your advice. 

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 1:13am
post #7 of 12

AJust remember that cake dummies are not real cakes and you may be able to do something on a dummy that you will find more challenging on a real cake. And please do check out cottage food laws in your area as well as copyright laws regarding character cakes like Minnie Mouse and other Disney characters. It is illegal unless you are licensed to do so. You really just can't say "hey I can bake cakes, think I'll star a business" without doing proper research. If your state does not have a CFL, you will be operating illegally. Have you at the very least got a food handlers permit? It's important to be aware of proper food prep and sanitation for your own benefit as well as any customers you may have.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 2:12am
post #8 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmijok 

Just remember that cake dummies are not real cakes and you may be able to do something on a dummy that you will find more challenging on a real cake. And please do check out cottage food laws in your area as well as copyright laws regarding character cakes like Minnie Mouse and other Disney characters. It is illegal unless you are licensed to do so. You really just can't say "hey I can bake cakes, think I'll star a business" without doing proper research. If your state does not have a CFL, you will be operating illegally. Have you at the very least got a food handlers permit? It's important to be aware of proper food prep and sanitation for your own benefit as well as any customers you may have.

Yes...I found myself doing things with my dummy cake tiers I could never get away with with a real cake. It stinks to have to make a whole cake just to take a picture of. But if you deliver that same cake to a police station or fire station it makes it much easier to swallow. I am not using dummy cakes anymore unless its for something I already know how to do. Plus properly stacking a cake is one of the most important aspects of tiered cakes if not THE most important part. You will never get experience doing that with a dummy cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 2:14am
post #9 of 12

If you have all the legal work done, then start by offering to show your pictures to anybody and everybody.  When I 1st started I talked to a teller at my bank; offered to make a small b'day cake for each employee.  I made one batter which I baked in 3 6" rounds.  One used right them, the other 2 properly wrapped & fzn until the next person's b'day.  I'm in a small town so this worked well for me.  Also, ask your hairdresser if you can leave an album of pix in her salone.  Offer to make a small cake for your dr, denist or anyone in his office.  Always talk up your work.  Offer to do special desserts at church.  Take a cake to any & all occasions what are a 'carry-in/pot luck'.  Let people know you do cakes.  Be sure to have a price list ready so you look professional.  Oh, and enter your local county & state fairs, though most of them are already over now so you will have to wait until next year :)

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 2:17am
post #10 of 12

when you need business cards I have THE BEST contact. Vista print doesn't have shiznit on this guy. He sells on Ebay out of Florida. $35 for 1000 double sided 16pt paper in glossy. I have turned a lot of people on here to him and they have all been happy.

dreamycakes1 Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 6:43am
post #11 of 12

Thank you all. Yes I already done with the paper work. I live in Canada. So its not bad here....I'm planning to do the dummy cakes for only wedding cakes since I don't know anyone getting married soon. But I have 2 birthday parties coming. I'm planning to do 2 tier or 3 tier cakes for it.

For the licensed character, I need to be very careful with this. 

Is it ok to do licensed character cake for my son's birthday? (home use only) 

CherriesonTop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherriesonTop Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 8:46pm
post #12 of 12

I got the same cards off ebay for 24$ 16pt double sided and glossy, they came from a girl in California if anyone needs the info

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%