Friday Night Cake Club For 10/25/13

Decorating By catlharper Updated 3 Nov 2013 , 1:19am by blissfullife3

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 12:17am
post #1 of 28

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to come share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can!

Cat

27 replies
catlharper Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 12:23am
post #2 of 28

Hi everyone! Starting this out early so I can have some time here before we leave to go deliver the cake of the week to the Bay Area. The cake is for a Luau themed baby shower. The baby on the cake was made for me by Carmijok (thank you again!) all I did was paint it and add the diaper/flower/grass skirt!

I will try to get photos of it on the cake table. It's getting fairly dark here already so the photos seem dark to me but then, it's better to have photos than not take them before we leave and have something happen to the cake before the party and have no photos! So hopefully better ones will end up in my gallery here on Monday.

Hope everyone's week is going well. My only challenge this week is the broken finger. Other than that the week's been pretty darn good! In fact tomorrow night we are going out for my "family" birthday dinner and then we have the party on Sunday for this cake. This is a work/attend sort of thing. We know the mom to be and were hired by her best friend to work the shower. So we go in early, do the set up and then get to enjoy the party! The only thing my daughter won't be thrilled with is she gets to cut the cake...I can't do that one handed! LOL!

Hope to see a lot of great photos tonight!

Cat

MommyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyMommy Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 12:29am
post #3 of 28

AI have a question. Going to give The *Original* WASC cake recipe a try. It calls for vanilla extract, butter flavor, and almond flavor. I forgot to get Almond flavor. Can I use Almond Extract?

I am attempting this w a white Betty Crocker cake mix. I wanted to follow the directions w these flavorings mentioned above. I also have Orange flavor ( I grabbed if I can't substitute almond extract). In addition, I have ore made buttercream I wanted to flavor w Amaretto flavoring.

Thoughts?

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 12:37am
post #4 of 28

I always use real almond extract

catlharper Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 12:41am
post #5 of 28

Thanks for jumping in there BatterUp...I've never made that recipe before but I would think that extract would be even better than "flavoring".

Cat

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 12:58am
post #6 of 28

AI too use extract

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 1:00am
post #7 of 28

It definitely is.....although Lorann's oils are very good and concentrated. Can't remember if I put this cake up yet. Just delivered it on Wednesday. I'm pretty happy with it except the back left corner looks funny in the pic. It didn't look like that in real life. I don't get it...

MommyMommy Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 1:05am
post #8 of 28

AThank you. One more question. If I have buttercream in refrigerator and want to add Amaretto flavoring.... Should I take it out and let it warm up before adding flavoring? And should it be room temp. when I put it on the cake or better cold? Or other?

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 1:05am
post #9 of 28

AHello! I've followed the Friday night thread in the past but this is my first time joining in! I have what should be a simple two tiered cake to do tonight, but it's already proving the "simple" wrong. I filled and crumb oater the layers last night and let them sit overnight to settle, then put a final smooth coat of buttercream on this morning with the plan to cover in fondant this evening.

I'm in New England and it's been cold this week! We hadn't turned the heat on yet, but it was about 57 in the house and I couldn't feel my feet even with 3 pairs of socks on! So we finally turned the heat on this evening and now that the house is warmer the cakes are settling more! What was beautifully smooth and crusted buttercream now has some bulges and soft spots. The house is 69 degrees, not tropical! So off I go to try to smooth the buttercream and possible put yet another layer on. Grrrrr!

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 1:10am
post #10 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyMommy 

Thank you. One more question. If I have buttercream in refrigerator and want to add Amaretto flavoring.... Should I take it out and let it warm up before adding flavoring? And should it be room temp. when I put it on the cake or better cold? Or other?

It will be better at room temperature.

MommyMommy Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 1:11am
post #11 of 28

AOk thank you!

catlharper Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 1:50am
post #12 of 28

Batterup! Cute cake! As for the photography..it's a weird lens perspective thing. I wouldn't worry about it, the cake looks great!

Welcome Frosted Moon! We keep the house around 70 degrees but on cake days I pull it down to 65, more for me than the cake! LOL! Hope it all turns out ok!

We are about to hit the road...see y'all on the other side!

Cat

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 4:36am
post #13 of 28

AI'm working on a dummy for my portfolio. I designed a cake inspired by Duchess Kate's outfit at the royal christening this week, as soon as I saw her outfit I knew it needed to be brought to cake life.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 5:16am
post #14 of 28

Hello all, Feel like I've been gone forever.

I've been super busy this last week.  2 weeks ago all my cake orders were during the week.  Even the weekend one the customer picked up on Friday afternoon so I took the rest of the weekend off.  

That one was a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cake but only 6".  Which does not seem to want to download.   I seem to be gotten lots of orders for smaller cakes. Hope they've run their course

Also did a walking dead cake which I was not all that pleased with.  The customer liked it so like we always say, If the customer is happy.  

Then there was another Monster's Inc.  2 tiered cake.  

A purse cake 

Lots of everyday cakes and finally my first stand up cake structure.  Please don't laugh.... This was a case of make and remake the structure.  I was doing it as the party was getting started.  I'm glad it was for a friend and there were lots of people who know me.  To some it might seem as a disaster buy to us it was a great learning tool.  

I also made lalaloopsy head cake pops, cupcakes, candy apples, jello cup shooters, button cookies, and jars of candy.  I just hate that my camera or internet won't connect to download the pics.

Batter up Love your cake.

catlharper Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 5:37am
post #15 of 28

Kiki...dying to see that cake! I, too, fell in love with Kate's outfit!

Ginn.....love love love the camping cake!!! Awesome job there!

Well, we made it and the cake is intact. Always hold my breath...even with the cake safe! In 3 years I havent lost a single cake with the cake safe but still!

I will ceck in again in the morning...saying goodnight now.

Cat

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 8:47am
post #16 of 28

This week's cake was for a friend's little boy's 7th birthday.  He is very keen on Harry Potter, so she had asked me to do something related to that.  I took inspiration from a lot of the cakes here to make this cake:

Chocolate cake shaped like a book with modelling chocolate Harry Potter decorations.

The little boy was thrilled but I can always see ways to improve :-)

I love seeing all the different cakes on here.  Everyone has such unique styles.

catlharper Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 4:25pm
post #17 of 28

Lizzie!  We adore HP so of course we adore your cake too!  I may just have to make a Potter themed cake myself one day since no one has ordered one yet! LOL!

Cat

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 5:00pm
post #18 of 28

Great Cakes, everyone!!! I look forwards to Friday so I can see what everyone is working on!!!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 6:25am
post #19 of 28

A[quote name="catlharper" url="/t/765228/friday-night-cake-club-for-10-25-13#post_7458331"]Hi everyone! Starting this out early so I can have some time here before we leave to go deliver the cake of the week to the Bay Area. The cake is for a Luau themed baby shower. The baby on the cake was made for me by Carmijok (thank you again!) all I did was paint it and add the diaper/flower/grass skirt!

Yea! There's that little baby. Cute! Glad to see it in action! :D

kikiandkyle Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 6:46pm
post #20 of 28

OK folks well it's kind of late but I was waiting to use my better camera instead of just my phone for a change!

I made a photo collage to show the inspiration for the cake, I'm reasonably happy with it. It's my first time doing dummy cakes.

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 6:55pm
post #21 of 28

Beautiful cake kikiandkyle! I love the embossed top layer.

catlharper Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 3:19am
post #22 of 28

Beautiful! Is the top tier painted or embossed...love the texture however you did it!

kikiandkyle Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 3:23am
post #23 of 28

AI painted it using Americolor ivory and gold.

blissfullife3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfullife3 Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 3:55am
post #24 of 28

A

Original message sent by catlharper

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to come share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can!

Cat

Hi there! I am brand new to cake central and just came across your forum! I look forward to seeing all of the amazing cakes and love that you have a weekly group. I am a week behind and certainly no pro but I wanted to share my most recent cake ;) hope you like it ! [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3130657/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

catlharper Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 4:05am
post #25 of 28

Welcome to the group Blissfullife! What an adorable Barbie Cake! I'm a beach baby so I really love it! LOL!  I start up the FNCC each Friday night between 6pm and 8pm. I deliver often in a city near us that takes me about 2 hours so sometimes I start it earlier than later but someone is always here every Friday night. Hope to see you here often and see a lot of your work too!

Cat

bajslsfcxdh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bajslsfcxdh Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 8:34am
post #26 of 28

[url=http://www.gpors.com/]buy rs gold[/url]
[url=http://www.gpors.com/]runescape gold[/url]

bajslsfcxdh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bajslsfcxdh Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 9:27am
post #27 of 28

[url=http://www.gpors.com/RS-2007-gold.html]runescape 07 gold[/url]
[url=http://www.gpors.com/selltous.html]sell rs gold[/url]

blissfullife3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfullife3 Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 1:19am
post #28 of 28

A

Original message sent by catlharper

Welcome to the group Blissfullife! What an adorable Barbie Cake! I'm a beach baby so I really love it! LOL!  I start up the FNCC each Friday night between 6pm and 8pm. I deliver often in a city near us that takes me about 2 hours so sometimes I start it earlier than later but someone is always here every Friday night. Hope to see you here often and see a lot of your work too!

Cat

Thanks so much Cat! I'm looking forward to seeing all the creativity and challenging myself a little more! Thanks for the warm welcoming!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%