A Word To The Pros

Decorating By Pastrybaglady Updated 26 Oct 2013 , 3:37pm by JWinslow

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 15

Hi, I'm a newbie to decorating but I have been a home baker for over 30 years.  I recently joined CC and have read increasingly frustrated posts by the Pros over having to answer the same questions over and over again and getting into arguments because some take offense to their advice.  To these Pros I want to say your words have not fallen on deaf ears!  Because of your advice and words of wisdom I  filed the paperwork and paid the fees so as not to sell illegally, I have done my own research and do not ask pricing questions, I am trying to charge appropriately but if I discount friends and family I show on the invoice what it should have cost and then the discount so they know, I use the search before I post a question, I have turned down a wedding cake because I have never stacked a cake in my life (I'm mostly a cupcake and cookie girl) and a birthday cake because they wanted a Batman logo on it.  All this is to say your words ARE appreciated please keep up the good work and don't go away!

14 replies
Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spireite Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 15

I am a hobby baker in the UK, and the first time I stacked a cake was a Christening cake.  I still wouldn't attempt to decorate a wedding cake as I would hate that pressure of making it perfect!  I am attempting a second christening cake in the new year and want to try new(to me) techniques on it.  Luckily my friend seems happy for me to experiment.  Lots of inspiration to be had on this site :-D

IowaBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IowaBaker Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 15

I'm thankful to the pros and other experienced bakers, too. I've learned lots of tips, found out about all kinds of cake stuff I didn't know existed, stuff I didn't know about gluten-free baking (my dad's had celiac disease about 30 years and I thought my knowledge was pretty good), the legal and customer service conversations are fascinating, and that I will probably NOT be going pro! I can't believe how fast one has to move in a bakery! They make lightning look slow! I think I will stick with baking for home and free for close relatives. .

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 15

AI just fell of my chair.

You made my day.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 15

AI hope that doesn't sound all fullnonmyself.

What I really mean is Thank You. Thank you for paying attention, for doing the research, for doing the hard work, and for caring enough to be invested.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 15

I agree 100%, the advice I have got from reading this forum for the last year has been so invaluable, I feel like I owe a lot of people some commission from my business once I have it up and running!

KatrinaBroughton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatrinaBroughton Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 10:51pm
post #7 of 15

I echo your sentiments as well. It was so well put I have nothing to add ... except ditto!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 12:58am
post #8 of 15

Pastrybaglady - Sweet! Really, really sweet.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 2:24am
post #9 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

I agree 100%, the advice I have got from reading this forum for the last year has been so invaluable, I feel like I owe a lot of people some commission from my business once I have it up and running!

Do you need my bank details???   bwahahaha

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 3:08am
post #10 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastrybaglady 

Hi, I'm a newbie to decorating but I have been a home baker for over 30 years................ All this is to say your words ARE appreciated please keep up the good work and don't go away!

Well said, Pastrybaglady.

I'll continue to buy their books and DVD's and read their websites to support them.

MGP403 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MGP403 Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 6:40am
post #11 of 15

I couldn't have said it better my self.  Thanks Pastrybaglady for posting and thanks to everyone for all the great advice and information.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 2:31pm
post #12 of 15

Bravo Pastrybaglady - well said!  :)

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 9:18pm
post #13 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

You made my day.

THAT is what I was going for! :D

mashy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mashy Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 9:56pm
post #14 of 15

Very well said!  I completely agree, thank you thank you thank you everyone!  I've been lurking and reading and searching for the past few months and have soaked up so much information without having to ask anything.  I'm about to attempt a three tier cake for my sister's baby shower and I'm not worried at all.  I'm actually looking forward to sharing it with all of you after I'm done and get your feedback and constructive criticism - there's always something I can do better next time!

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 3:37pm
post #15 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashy 

Very well said!  I completely agree, thank you thank you thank you everyone!  I've been lurking and reading and searching for the past few months and have soaked up so much information without having to ask anything.  I'm about to attempt a three tier cake for my sister's baby shower and I'm not worried at all.  I'm actually looking forward to sharing it with all of you after I'm done and get your feedback and constructive criticism - there's always something I can do better next time!

Good for you!  Looking forward to pictures :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%