Best Recipie For Sugar Cookies

Baking By chocaholikk Updated 4 Nov 2013 , 1:07am by liz at sugar

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:18pm
post #31 of 61

My recipe is similar to ddaigles, but I think it has less sugar.  It cooks at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes.  Also a bit of a fragile cookie, but tastes great!  And just starts to brown around the edges in that time.

Liz

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:23pm
post #32 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

My recipe is similar to ddaigles, but I think it has less sugar.  It cooks at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes.  Also a bit of a fragile cookie, but tastes great!  And just starts to brown around the edges in that time.

Liz

I LOVE a shortbread cookie frosted like a sugar cookie for taste, but the darn things are too fragile to make in mass. That's why I was delighted with the NFSC. It was the first cookie I've used that you can under bake (less than golden brown) and dip/frost right out of the oven. It's like the old timex ad's: takes a beating and keeps on ticking.

liz at sugar Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:26pm
post #33 of 61

I looked at the spec sheet for Brill's White and Glossy - it lists the percentages of each item, so something in there must keep it glossy - it has agar - could that be it?  Mostly sugar, then water, then corn syrup.  Rest is agar, coloring, potassium sorbate, citric acid, etc.  I've never seen agar in a glaze recipe, so maybe that is the key.

Liz

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:29pm
post #34 of 61

I get it from New Orleans...but it is a Brill product.  I tried to paste a pic but it would let me.  I'm sure to the weight it would cost a lot to ship. 

Stitches Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:32pm
post #35 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

I've never seen agar in a glaze recipe, so maybe that is the key.

Liz

I think agar is a thickening/binding agent.

ddaigle Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:34pm
post #36 of 61

Liz...I'm glad you can understand all of those ingredients...it's a foreign language to me! LOL

ddaigle Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:36pm
post #37 of 61

I also use the White & Glossy to dip my cupcakes and to pour over my king cakes and bundt cakes.   Again, the amount of time I heat it up determines the consistency.

liz at sugar Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:38pm
post #38 of 61

Is it scoopable before you heat it?

Liz

ddaigle Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:39pm
post #39 of 61

Yes...but super thick.   I use my wooden paddle to scoop it out of the container.

ddaigle Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:42pm
post #40 of 61

When flooding cookies you have to be very quick.   You can't do the toothpick tricks like you can with royal.    It starts to get a top crust immediately.  It takes a little practice to get use to it.  But because it starts to set up so quick..I never have it run off the sides of a cookie like I would with royal if I got too close to the edge. 

I've been using it for years so I completely know it's process.

Stitches Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:47pm
post #41 of 61

I googled it too.

It's what I think of as fondant, that you'd use on petite fours or doughnuts. The stuff I've purchased before on jobs was always a pain because you'd have to thin it in order to use it...plus if you over heat it, it looses it's shine. Although there is a brand that you can buy in powder form so it lasts forever and you make it the consistency you want.

But the catch is, I like how cheap homemade frosting is compared to buying buckets of fondant. I'd have to raise my prices if I used a commercial product. I'd like to find something I can make myself.

ddaigle Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:52pm
post #42 of 61

I would never use it on petit fours nor describe it as fondant.  It's not the "traditional" petit four icing (to me)...I make that.      When I use royal, I have to thin it (with water) to get the flooding consistency I like.  Royal is probably much cheaper.   I just like the different products I can use the W&G with.

Stitches Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:56pm
post #43 of 61

Cool, I'd love to try that...it does sound better.

ddaigle Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:58pm
post #44 of 61

You might want to find a couple buddies and split the tub/cost to try it out.   The small tub is still HUGE.

Stitches Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 4:20pm
post #45 of 61

I'm going to see if any of my local distributers carry it....to avoid shipping fees. Thanks!!

chocaholikk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocaholikk Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 7:06pm
post #46 of 61

AI must say, I always thought cookies were going to be really easy and cakes needed more attention so i always focused on them but now, cookies are really starting to get on my last nerve!! I need to buy some patience...redbull maybe?!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 8:18am
post #47 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocaholikk 

I must say, I always thought cookies were going to be really easy and cakes needed more attention so i always focused on them but now, cookies are really starting to get on my last nerve!!
I need to buy some patience...redbull maybe?!

chocaholikk:  a case of 'em.  There are some cookie decorators posting photos of their decorated cookies that are simply amazing.  Nerves of steel and talent!!

The first time I saw a professional decorated sugar cookie was a decade ago in the People magazine.

The gal was charging $10.00 a cookie.     She earned every penny of that $$.

chocaholikk Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 9:51am
post #48 of 61

A@MBalaska im sure she deserved it too. I guess im going to give up for now n try again in a few weeks time (I say that n see some amazing cookies on instagram etc n then set out to have a try again) Cookies r on my priority "to master" list now Who thought cookies were going to give me such a hard time lol

MBalaska Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 7:05pm
post #49 of 61

my one cookie saving grace is stencils.  They are the easiest way for a no-talent non-artist like me.

ddaigle Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 8:20pm
post #50 of 61

MB....you mastered PT4s after the 2nd pour....I'm sure you can tackle cookies with the same vengeance! 

MBalaska Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 8:45pm
post #51 of 61

Thanks Sarge !  But It is much easier to Pour from the big bucket than to hand pipe with those tiny tips.   and again KUDOS to YOU for your tutorial on Petit Fours.

roll out sugar cookies, Royal Icing with Royal Icing stenciling  stencil    vs.

free hand piping

arggghhhhh.   piping will be my 'white whale' that I pursue with a vengeance, for sure..

ddaigle Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 9:11pm
post #52 of 61

I love that mug cookie.   Where did you get the cutter?  Stencils are so pretty.   I have only done a couple stencil cookies...but call me psycho...just like the PT4s...I really like decorating cookies! 

MBalaska Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 9:23pm
post #53 of 61

copper gifts .com   actually I find myself looking at their website for an hour once I get there and start looking at cutters.  The best part of their website is that they show examples of decorated cookies for most of the cutters.  Sometimes they have 2 or 6 examples.

Ok I'll admit it, I can't pipe for crap, but I have dozens,  a hundred , over a hundred cookie cutters.

I'm just crazy about the cutters. I'm turning into a collector.

did these years ago, I'm sure I could do much better today, but these are from the big copper cutters also.

MBalaska Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 9:38pm
post #54 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocaholikk 

@MBalaska
im sure she deserved it too. I guess im going to give up for now n try again in a few weeks time (I say that n see some amazing cookies on instagram etc n then set out to have a try again)
Cookies r on my priority "to master" list now
Who thought cookies were going to give me such a hard time lol

chocaholikk:    me!  but the funny thing is that not everyone will take a piece of cake, but almost everyone will take a cookie.  So it's a nice thing to make for people.

ps:  if you haven't seen these cookies from Geminirj your missing a truly joyful experience. I hope it's acceptable to link to this awesome photo page............

http://cakecentral.com/g/a/69/geminirj-set-cookies/u/50198/flat/1

chocaholikk Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 12:56am
post #55 of 61

AOMG my jaw just dropped looking at that link! Thanks fpr sharing...I'll hav to have another try soon

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 12:48pm
post #56 of 61

MBalaska, aren't you the sweetest? So glad you like my cookies! I really like those beer mug cookies of yours!!! I haven't had much luck for quite a while posting photos here (I think my computer is the problem. Or it could be operator error....) But I gave up after a while, and just post on Flickr.

chocaholikk, it's really true that practice makes perfect! I know I'm far from it, but cookie decorating is my therapy, so I keep practicing. Don't give up!

blissfullife3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfullife3 Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 1:24am
post #57 of 61

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

[B]chocaholikk:   [/B] me!  but the funny thing is that not everyone will take a piece of cake, but almost everyone will take a cookie.  So it's a nice thing to make for people.

ps:  if you haven't seen these cookies from Geminirj your missing a truly joyful experience. I hope it's acceptable to link to this awesome photo page............ [URL=http://cakecentral.com/g/a/69/geminirj-set-cookies/u/50198/flat/1]http://cakecentral.com/g/a/69/geminirj-set-cookies/u/50198/flat/1[/URL]

I just checked out the link!! They don't even look like cookies!! Thanks for sharing! I'm feeling inspired !

blissfullife3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfullife3 Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 1:41am
post #58 of 61

AI just tried this recipe on Halloween http://cakecentral.com/a/no-fail-sugar-cookies And my cookies came out amazing! I didn't even want to frost them! It was my first time making sugar cookies from scratch so I was really surprised. I used the almond extract and took some advice from another forum to take them out of the oven when the cookies lose their shine! 6 minutes in my oven perfect every time! Soft and delicious!

MBalaska Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 10:52pm
post #59 of 61

BTW ddaigle:  if you're looking for something special, unique,

or needing a custom made cookie cutter just for your business,  these folks have made some really nice ones.

It's where I got my best polar/grizzly/black 'bear' cookie cutters and the rifle cookie cutter.

(as I said I'm a cookie cutter collector fanatic, and I love making cookies for people)

ecrandal copper cookie cuttershttp://stores.ecrandal.com/StoreFront.bok

ddaigle Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 11:23pm
post #60 of 61

AWow..MB... Their cutters are amazing.. . I also have hundreds of cutters but that's because I bought them for a dollar. Lol

I only have a couple copper ones that I got at Copper gifts.

Thanks for sharing that link.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%