Need A Great Scratch Recipe..no Time/a Lot Of Money To Waste Trying To Perfect..help!

Baking By vonscakes87 Updated 22 Oct 2013 , 12:11pm by Sassyzan

vonscakes87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonscakes87 Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 11

AI'm in need of a great tasting,sturdy cake I can possibly carve..(I intend on trying to make a doctor bag,shaped cake with a 9"x13")I want the cake to taste great,for a 4year old.i need chocolate.i was thinking of making maybe a chocolate pound cake,was going to take a shortcut of doctoring a pound cake box,but if I can have a great one from scratch I would prefer.anyone have any recipes they are willing to share?or is everyone kinda secretive when it comes to that?HELP ASAP PLEASE?:oops:

10 replies
rebecca67e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecca67e Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 11

doesn't really help much but I used devils food cake for carving and it was great. no recipe to share, sorry (not bc I'm secretive lol, I just don't have the one I used to hand)

vonscakes87 Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 11

Athanx for the tip!!!im new to cake central and I know some people are kinda hush,hush when it comes to recipes and sometimes even helping others out.

scorpio1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scorpio1966 Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 11

Here is a good one from heartsfire...I used butterscotch pudding  it was good and durable as well! Great reviews!

Durable Cake for 3D and Wedding Cakes

Posted 9/6/12 • Last updated 4/24/05 • 23813 views • 247 comments

Posted by heartsfire

This cake is moist yet very durable and will hold up to many shapes and designs. It is light in taste and stays moist if making a day or two ahead.

Durable Cake for 3D and Wedding Cakes

Ingredients

• 1 Duncan Hines Yellow (or White) cake mix
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 small pkg of instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 1 cup sour cream

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Incorporate all ingredients together one by one on low speed.
  3. Make sure to mix thoroughly between each ingredient.
  4. Once all ingredients are mixed turn mixer to medium and mix for approximately 2 minutes.
  5. Bake at 350 for 30 - 35 minutes
vonscakes87 Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 11

Ado I need to use egg whites if im using the white cake and whole eggs if using another flavor scorpio1966?

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 1:34am
post #6 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by vonscakes87 

thanx for the tip!!!im new to cake central and I know some people are kinda hush,hush when it comes to recipes and sometimes even helping others out.

Not at all. Have you tried the search function?

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 1:57am
post #7 of 11

AToba Garrett's chocolate fudge cake. The recipe is on epicurious.com.

vonscakes87 Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 2:49am
post #8 of 11

Aits so confusing when I try the search engine here..it just takes me to forums and people talk about the recipe but rarely see it..idk im very very new so im still trna figure this site out and how to run around it STITCHES...and thank you Sassyzan for the input i'll check it out.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 3:00am
post #9 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by vonscakes87 

its so confusing when I try the search engine here..it just takes me to forums and people talk about the recipe but rarely see it..idk im very very new so im still trna figure this site out and how to run around it STITCHES...and thank you Sassyzan for the input i'll check it out.

I don't know why you needed to capitalize the letters of my name here^. Usually, that's shouting at someone.

I am far from being comfortable navigating this website because I tend to only look at the business threads. But if you go to the top of this website page and look at the categories.... The second one from the left says "RECIPES", click on it, than choose "Most Viewed". The recipes listed under that are the recipes referred to repeatedly in threads. You can read peoples review of each recipe too. It's extremely helpful and it actually can give you more insight for what the majority of people liked and recipes that worked the best, than you might learn in this thread.....where people can and will throw out random recipes.

vonscakes87 Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 3:13am
post #10 of 11

Aim tired and I could've sworn I saw your name in all caps,but I see im clearly wrong.wasnt tryna yell.think im use to facebook tagging people when you type the name..again my apologies,wasnt yelling at ypu about me being new.lol thanx for the help navigating!!!

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 12:11pm
post #11 of 11

AIf you scroll all the way to the bottom, switch to "desktop" site instead of "mobile." Then you will have much more search functionality.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%