Given Up On Global Sugar Art... So Where Can I Get My Gear From?

Decorating By auntiecruel Updated 22 Oct 2013 , 10:43pm by auntiecruel

auntiecruel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecruel Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 31

Hi - situated in Norway and cake decorating isn't such a big thing over here - I pretty much have to import everything from fondant to cutters.

After gasping my way halfway through checkout @ Global Sugar art where a parcel with the value of $20 ends up costing $120 because of their insane shipping costs I'm kinda lost. Not only are their shipping costs out of this world - I also have to pay customs for it. Seriously GSA; change your name or be blunt; you don't really want customers overseas.

Enough of the QQ - where can I find a decent supplier of nozzles & bags & cutters & colors and everything else I need for decorating my cakes and cookies? Any ideas?

Best, Auntiecruel

30 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 31

Awww.cacas.no

auntiecruel Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 31

Thanks Godot - but that's not really an option, their prices are triple what they are in lets say USA. So I get to pay the same. 

Other ideas? Links are good ;D

Godot Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 31

AOf course prices in Norway are going to be 3x that of the USA. Norway is one of the most expensive countries in the world and the US is all but bankrupt.

Try places in England. Even though Norge isn't in the Eu the shipping might be cheaper.

auntiecruel Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 31

I've tried Sugarshack & the Cakedecorating company - both delivering to Norway for around $30 no matter if the parcel is containing 1 or umpteen items. They used to forward things by air mail but have for some odd reason changed to DHL prices.

I am totally aware of the Norwegian prices - this, and the fact that the variety of cake decorating equipment is very poor here, is the reason I'm looking elsewhere ;D

Oh and edit... Sugarshack actually wants £55 to send a parcel to me with just a few nozzles and colors - that's only about $ 88....

Godot Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 31

AI'd say that you're SOL then.

auntiecruel Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 31

One could say that ;D

I am still hopeful that another solution might be found - this is a forum where magical things happen :P

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 31

Ebay?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 31

AHave you looked into how much it actually costs to ship something from the US to Norway? They may be charging closer to the actual shipping cost than you think.

Where do local bakeries buy their supplies?

auntiecruel Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 31

I'll check Ebay closer LizzieAylett, thanks ;D

@ Jason_Kraft; I'm not sure I'm buying that argument, that this is actual cost. If so, how come the alternative with AirMail is so much more fair (only we're not given that alternative ;)? 

Another reason is that it appears to be just as costly - if not more - to send same items from the UK. And UK is kinda right next door compared.

Local bakeries use a wholesale option called Pals - more or less a monopoly going on there and they trade only with companies. Not much of interest there to me either - they don't have cutters etc.

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 4:52pm
post #11 of 31

I get most of my cutters, molds, etc. from China through e-bay at ridiculously low prices. Once got a fish cutter/mold for 30 cents including shipping. Items arrived within two weeks. The US has a special trade agreement with China that keeps the postage low.  Norway probably does not have the same agreement, but it's worth checking. If not, do you know someone in the US who could receive your items then forward them to you for just the cost of forwarding postage? Just a thought. Not sure what postage to you from China or the US would be. Good luck!

jason_kraft Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 31

AI just checked pricing for US Postal Service priority mail to Norway, a medium size flat rate box starts at $60. Many businesses have contracts with UPS or Fedex, which are typically somewhat more expensive than USPS.

jason_kraft Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 4:57pm
post #13 of 31

AIf you're close to Oslo this might be worth a try: http://www.nelso.com/no/place/300143/

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 5:09pm
post #14 of 31

Anticruel, I feel for you, I live in Paris and shipping is a fortune. I've taken to having items delivered to my family in the States and then when I or someone I know goes they bring it back for me. I got a 60€ tax bill last time I shipped something which really annoyed me esp as I paid so much for postage & I've sworn of having stuff shipped.  

You might find it cheaper to go up to London to buy in bulk - I sometimes do that, alternatively Amazon (the English) site has a fair choice for baking & cake decorating & their shipping is more reasonable so maybe try that?

auntiecruel Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 5:47pm
post #15 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

If you're close to Oslo this might be worth a try:
http://www.nelso.com/no/place/300143/

Going to this cake shop has been part of my christmas traditions since I was a wee un-cruel thing, Jason ;D 

They have the best cakes in the world! Never ever seen a cookie cutter for sale there tho, hm....

auntiecruel Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 5:48pm
post #16 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carrie789 

I get most of my cutters, molds, etc. from China through e-bay at ridiculously low prices. Once got a fish cutter/mold for 30 cents including shipping. Items arrived within two weeks. The US has a special trade agreement with China that keeps the postage low.  Norway probably does not have the same agreement, but it's worth checking. If not, do you know someone in the US who could receive your items then forward them to you for just the cost of forwarding postage? Just a thought. Not sure what postage to you from China or the US would be. Good luck!

Thanks a mill Carrie - will look into that ASAP ;D

auntiecruel Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 5:51pm
post #17 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire138 

Anticruel, I feel for you, I live in Paris and shipping is a fortune. I've taken to having items delivered to my family in the States and then when I or someone I know goes they bring it back for me. I got a 60€ tax bill last time I shipped something which really annoyed me esp as I paid so much for postage & I've sworn of having stuff shipped.  

You might find it cheaper to go up to London to buy in bulk - I sometimes do that, alternatively Amazon (the English) site has a fair choice for baking & cake decorating & their shipping is more reasonable so maybe try that?

I guess we just have to cry on eachothers shoulders here, Claire - and meet up in London for some hardcore cookie cutter shopping ;D

Amazon.co.uk has proven to be an invaluable source in the past. The trick is to find the sellers that have all the items you need AND send them at a sane cost outside UK.

Godot Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 6:05pm
post #18 of 31

AOr take an empty suitcase to the NEC in two weeks.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 6:09pm
post #19 of 31

Definitely plan on that Godot (might bring 2 just in case). Would love to meet up with any CC members there, I'll be there on sunday 10th.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 6:12pm
post #20 of 31

AYou could definitely try the eBay option with stuff coming from China. However I will say that stuff is hit or miss. Sometimes it turns out to be a good find....other times it's a piece of crap. Just keep that in mind should you decide to go that route

chocaholikk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocaholikk Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 8:24pm
post #21 of 31

AUk id bad enuff with shipping but I wud say try ebay. Even if the shipping is abit expensive u can usually import from china pretty cheap. I bought my non stick fondant rolling pin for £10 (gbp) whereas my local cske supplier sells it for £40!! Try ebay or amazon hun good luck xxx

auntiecruel Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 10:50pm
post #22 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godot 

Or take an empty suitcase to the NEC in two weeks.

Did that way back in ... mustvebeen 2003 or 2004. My VISA-card is still shellshocked ;D

Thanks to all for advice & kind help. It's like i say - magic happens in this forum <3

chocaholikk Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 11:31pm
post #23 of 31

AWats happeing in NEC? NEC birmingham??

Godot Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 5:09am
post #24 of 31

ATrade show/cake show. Lots of great cakes, vendors demos.

chocaholikk Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 7:51am
post #25 of 31

AIn Birmingham uk right?? Im heading over!! Wooop!!

auntiecruel Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 12:42pm
post #26 of 31

UPDATE:

Wow - what do you know.... thecakedecoratingcompany.co.uk actually got in touch to figure out what's wrong and behold! I can still get my gear from there as Airmail for lightweight orders is still an option :D 

I've ordered heaps from these guys in the past, so couldn't for the life of me get why the airmail was no longer an option... Problem solved, auntie happy!

chocaholikk Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 5:25pm
post #27 of 31

AAw glad u sorted it hun x

bundlesofjoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bundlesofjoy Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 5:49pm
post #28 of 31

CALJAVAONLINE.COM i get almost all my cake gear from them!!! great deals and fast shipping!

auntiecruel Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 10:31pm
post #29 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by bundlesofjoy 

CALJAVAONLINE.COM i get almost all my cake gear from them!!! great deals and fast shipping!

Looks great - but alas... they just sell to US market :cry:

bundlesofjoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bundlesofjoy Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 10:38pm
post #30 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntiecruel 

Looks great - but alas... they just sell to US market :cry:

Oh they DO sell internationally! :-D I'm in the US but I have family in Philippines that always order from them as well

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%