Do You Put Coconut In Your Hummingbird Cake?

Decorating By george101 Updated 21 Oct 2013 , 7:57pm by george101

george101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
george101 Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 12:49am
post #1 of 16

Hi

I  have 4-5 recipe's for humming bird cake and hope to create a version from these that will be amicable to my requirements.

I have heard it described as the king of carrot cakes and yet none of the recipes I have include carrots.

Is it traditionally meant to have carrots? Or is this description off base ?

However there are always footnotes about adding an optional cup of coconut to the batter.

Some do , some don't,  do you?

If you do can you describe the changes to the cakes density, moistness etc. Do you add more liquid to the batter?

The recipes I have are quite similar and I look forward to your opinions.

Thanks

15 replies
Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 12:54am
post #2 of 16

AI've only made it once from a food network magazine recipe. It had pecans, banana, and pineapple. No coconut or carrots.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 1:57am
post #3 of 16

AOh I would cry!

Hummingbird should have neither carrots nor coconut. Carrots are for carrot cake & coconut is for coconut or Italian cream.

Hummingbird is a spice cake with bananas, pineapples, & pecans.

My recommendation is the one from Southern Living

george101 Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 2:22am
post #4 of 16

Thanks for that, I have no idea as I have never tried it 

Although hope to remedy that very soon !!!

The recipe's I have , consist of pineapple , banana, pecan or walnut, and the only spice is cinnamon.

I would have the urge to add nutmeg but will google the southern living recipe now.

Do you know the origin of this cake ?

The coconut thing  has confused me as I would have thought it altered the flavour of this cake considerably.

What is the main flavour I should aim for and is the spice to enhance or dominate the flavour.

I really enjoy trying to get the best flavours from my recipes and will spend hours researching , baking and then 

critique it within an inch of its life ! ( all part of the fun for me.)

Thanks

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 2:31am
post #5 of 16

Hummingbird is definitely pineapple, banana, pecans and cinnamon, none of the other ingredients you have listed or else it's not a Hummingbird.

george101 Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 2:47am
post #6 of 16

I have just googled southern living, so will give that my first taste test,( interestingly the only change from the 1978 recipe is the reduction in oil.) Obviously good things stand the test of time.

I have also discovered that the cake originates from the deep South, if you know any different please tell me, as the origin of

recipes is important to me.

Thanks again.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 3:36am
post #7 of 16

AI'm originally from Ga & now live in SC. It is indeed a very southern cake.

The story is that a very sweet lady decided to make banana bread with some overripe bananas. She realized she was out of milk & searched the cupboards. She had some oil but not quite enough so tossed in a can of crushed pineapple to make up the difference.

I doubt that's the real birth, but I love that it conveys the strength, tenacity, & resourcefulness of a southern woman.

The real trick is to use a light flour. I use White Lily. Be careful not to overmux or the cake will be thick & hard.

george101 Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 4:04am
post #8 of 16

Hi 

Thank you so much for sharing this, this is what I love most about a recipe " its story "

mine is now in the oven, but I am super worried that I may have over mixed it, time will tell !!!

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 1:45pm
post #9 of 16

AI heard it was called hummingbird cake because it's so good everyone eats it going "mmmmm mmmmmm mmmmm," humming like a hummingbird.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 2:34pm
post #10 of 16

Hummingbird cake reminds me of a cake version of banana nut bread.   I likey! Especially with cream cheese icing.

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 16

I just made one for a wedding this weekend,. I had to charge them a little extra cause those little suckers are hard to catch!!! Especially this time of year!!LOL.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 3:43pm
post #12 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaigle 

Hummingbird cake reminds me of a cake version of banana nut bread.   I likey! Especially with cream cheese icing.

My recipe is exactly the same as my carrot cake recipe with the carrots switched out for bananas, and the walnuts switched out for pecans.  I use ripe, but not over ripe bananas cut in chunks, and fold them in at the end so they don't get mashed.  Its the new favorite in my house.  I serve it up with Raffaello buttercream because the banana pineapple combo just seems to cry out for the addition of coconut in some form.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 3:45pm
post #13 of 16

You need a disclaimer:

Quote:

Originally Posted by patticake1951 

I just made one for a wedding this weekend,. I had to charge them a little extra cause those little suckers are hard to catch!!! Especially this time of year!!LOL.**

**no hummingbirds were harmed in the production of this cake.

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 3:58pm
post #14 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch 

**no hummingbirds were harmed in the production of this cake.

LOL!!!! Yes I do.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 6:07pm
post #15 of 16

AHea

Original message sent by Sassyzan

I heard it was called hummingbird cake because it's so good everyone eats it going "mmmmm mmmmmm mmmmm," humming like a hummingbird.

Heard that one too

george101 Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 7:57pm
post #16 of 16

Well I have just eaten my first and it certainly caused an mmmmmmmm!!!!!

What a beautiful cake, very light , moist and melt in your mouth, I was really surprised at the flavour, I prefer this to carrot cake . This is a  keeper

Thanks all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%