How Do You Grease Your Pans?

Decorating By craftycroissant Updated 16 Oct 2013 , 1:32pm by yortma

craftycroissant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftycroissant Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 3:45am
post #1 of 20

Just wondering, how do you grease your pans? Or how do you get them ready so the cake comes out easily and not get crunchy? Pam? Homemade mixture? Parchment? 

19 replies
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 4:15am
post #2 of 20

AParchment & pan spray. Easiest, quickest & pretty much foolproof. Speed is important in a commercial setting, so I won't waste time making my own pan grease mixture.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 5:22am
post #3 of 20

Pan spray for me too, I used to buy the wiltons one (not the spray the easy bake one) and I have made my own too but I don't find it worth it.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 6:45am
post #4 of 20

I line the bases and then spray the sides.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 7:02am
post #5 of 20

I don't grease them at all.  I just line the tins without any butter or oil or fat.

I was told that by doing this, it helps the cakes to rise and stops the outside getting so crispy....  and I have to say since I've stopped greasing with Trex (same as Crisco, I believe) before lining with the baking parchment, I do find this to be the case!

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 9:37am
post #6 of 20

AI make my own pan grease in multiple containers and store in place of store bought.

miniflowercake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miniflowercake Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 20

I spray the bottom of the pan with spray grease, line it with wax paper (just the bottom of the pan), and spray it well with spray grease again. As I've said before, I am a spray grease maniac. :grin:

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 20

a safety thought for you sprayers--

consider wearing a dust mask till the spray dissipates from the air--just use the one you wear when you airbrush--

or get one for the pan sprays then when you get your airbrush you'll be all set--

OR walk outside or into another room to spray--you only got that one set of lungs--keep 'em pretty & pink!

--we now return you to your regularly scheduled grease thread--

i just use parchment for the same reasons as relznik plus it's easy and i'm lazy

to release you might need to reheat the bottom of the pan moving it over a burner for 5 seconds --bam! done!

think of this post only when you cough ;)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 20

AI line the bottom of the pans with parchment and don't do anything to the sides unless I know it's a recipe that will overflow, then I use a parchment collar. No grease or spray at all.

Mommy Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy Cakes Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 6:13pm
post #10 of 20

APam for baking works great for me. If its a really large cake I sometimes line the bottom with parchment paper too, just to be safe. :)

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 7:04pm
post #11 of 20

I spray the bottom only with Bakers Joy, and collar the sides so it can rise up higher.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 7:52pm
post #12 of 20

I just recently I tried 'Pam spray for baking' from the grocery store.

It worked OK, and there were few crumbs with a soft edge. When the cake was 'done' the edges had pulled away nicely from the pan. It came out of the pan easily.

Spraying the pans over the sink.....just a few seconds and it's done.  Pretty handy.  

I Have only done this on the last 4 cakes though so It's not an expert opinion by any means.

craftycroissant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftycroissant Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 11:14pm
post #13 of 20

For all of the people that said they use pan spray, which do you use? Pam? Another brand?

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 11:17pm
post #14 of 20

AI usually use the brand my bakery supplier sends me. Can't remember the name. At home, either Costco brand or Pam. I have not seen one work any better than another.

miniflowercake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miniflowercake Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 11:42pm
post #15 of 20

I use just about any spray and haven't noticed any difference in using any of them. :)

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 11:53pm
post #16 of 20

AThere is a difference in Pan sprays - the cheap ones leave a residue on your pans that doesn't wash off. I use a commercial spray, or for home use I only use Pam.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 12:45am
post #17 of 20

AI use the Wilton cake release that you put on with a brush, not a spray.

To those who line with parchment and/or collar, is there an easy way to do it? I can't stand taking the time to cut it all to the right size.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 3:39am
post #18 of 20

Parchment in the bottom and Vegelene spray or Dawn's brand of pan release spray.  I hate Pam!  It makes stuff uber-gummy.

MommyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyMommy Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 1:17pm
post #19 of 20

ACurious - I am not a professional - I do what my mom taught me ... Crisco applied w a paper towel and flour to cover bottom of pan and sides. Is there something wrong w this method other than maybe more time consuming?

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 1:32pm
post #20 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyMommy 

Curious - I am not a professional - I do what my mom taught me ... Crisco applied w a paper towel and flour to cover bottom of pan and sides. Is there something wrong w this method other than maybe more time consuming?

Of course not!  I use the homemade version which is flour, shortening and oil blended together and kept in a squirt bottle.  Essentially the same thing, but for me, just a bit more convenient.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%