My First Wedding Cake Experience

Decorating By PastryChefAnnie Updated 15 Oct 2013 , 4:23am by MommyMommy

PastryChefAnnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PastryChefAnnie Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 17

Yesterday I made my first wedding cake!  It turned out perfect.  I loved it so much and was very happy with it.

I delivered the cake (it was a friend's wedding) and sat down with my family to enjoy the wedding.

You won't believe what happened next.  The mother of the bride took off everything I had done on the cake and then she stuck in a ton of cheap, fake flowers!! She just jabbed them in the cake with nothing covering the stems.  I was just so in shock that she would do such a thing!!!

The bride hadn't even seen what I had done before the mother came along and did this.  I just let it go and didn't say anything.  I did talk to the mother today and she said that her daughter had told her that she wanted flowers cascading down the cake and that's why she did it.

Well, her daughter NEVER told me that!!

I'm trying to laugh about it instead of being mad since we are family friends.  I just never imagined such a thing would ever happen, especially without even asking me if it was ok!

16 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 17

That's awful...!  Do you have pictures of the original cake to show us and the bride?

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 17

my first thought is that Mama planned on doing that no matter what, or she would not have had the flowers at the reception site.  She probably knew what you and  her daughter had agreed on, and it wasn't what she wanted, so come hell or high water she was going in have flowers cascading down the cake.  I think, no I know I would tell the bride what happened, and if you have pictures of the cake before Mama did her thing I would show them to the bride.  I would hope that other people saw what the MOB did so they wouldn't think it was your work. Someday you will really be able to laugh about it.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 17

AWow. I would've been pissed.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 17

deleted, double post

PastryChefAnnie Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 17

The one I did is the first picture. The second one is what the Mom did.  I didn't get a very good picture of it.  I don't think it looks horrible, it's just not what the bride had told me she wanted.  Just the thought of all those flowers stuck in the cake just irks me though!

photo.JPG

PastryChefAnnie Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatieKake 

my first thought is that Mama planned on doing that no matter what, or she would not have had the flowers at the reception site.  She probably knew what you and  her daughter had agreed on, and it wasn't what she wanted, so come hell or high water she was going in have flowers cascading down the cake.  I think, no I know I would tell the bride what happened, and if you have pictures of the cake before Mama did her thing I would show them to the bride.  I would hope that other people saw what the MOB did so they wouldn't think it was your work. Someday you will really be able to laugh about it.

I didn't get to tell the bride until after she told me she loved everything about the cake.  So, I'll talk to her more about it when she gets back from her honeymoon.

I think the Mom just had a vision in her head of what she wanted and that's what she was going to do, no matter what. Through the whole wedding I was so embarrassed thinking that people think that that was MY creation.  It's just not my style at all, and didn't look at like like what the bride and I had talked about.

NYAcupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYAcupcake Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 17

Sounds like mama was a control freak who wanted things HER way. A little coincidental that she happened to have the flowers handy and waiting. And if the bride DID want cascading flowers and you didn't do it, clearly she would have said something instead of just giving the cake a tacky makeover without saying anything.

I am so sorry this happened. Please tell me she paid you in full already?

PastryChefAnnie Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 12:08am
post #9 of 17

AI totally agree! Yes, paid in full, thank goodness!

NYAcupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYAcupcake Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 12:18am
post #10 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastryChefAnnie 

I totally agree! Yes, paid in full, thank goodness!
SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 2:23am
post #11 of 17

AOkay that's weird, but why did you let her do it? If this was a paid order, you can't just let someone mess with the cake. It's lucky that the bride didn't seem to mind but if she hated it, she might have taken it up with you.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 2:34am
post #12 of 17

Forgot to ask...did she bring a seamstress to change up the gown too?  

PastryChefAnnie Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 2:57am
post #13 of 17

A

Original message sent by SugaredSaffron

Okay that's weird, but why did you let her do it? If this was a paid order, you can't just let someone mess with the cake. It's lucky that the bride didn't seem to mind but if she hated it, she might have taken it up with you.

I didn't know she had done it until it was too late! If this had been for someone that I didn't know, I probably would have handled it differently, I just didn't want to cause any problems between us. I do know now that in my contract I will be putting something in it about no one being allowed to change anything without my permission first!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 3:12am
post #14 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastryChefAnnie 

I didn't know she had done it until it was too late! If this had been for someone that I didn't know, I probably would have handled it differently, I just didn't want to cause any problems between us. I do know now that in my contract I will be putting something in it about no one being allowed to change anything without my permission first!

PastryChefAnnie: If this had been someone that you didn't know....you wouldn't have been at the wedding correct?

You'd have made the cake as requested, delivered & set it up as required, and gone home with your photos. Another profitable job well done.

How could you ever possibly be responsible for MomZillas?

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 10:14am
post #15 of 17

Putting something in the contract saying nobody can change the cake without your permission will not work. If a determined Mother of the Bride has a different agenda to her daughter, nothing and nobody will stop her from doing what she wants.  Good idea to take a photo of the cake you made when you deliver it to the venue so if there are any issues you can produce the photo to prove what you did.

PastryChefAnnie Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 10:46am
post #16 of 17

AI guess that's true, just because it's in the contract doesn't mean it would stop someone from changing it. I know there was no stopping this woman!

MommyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyMommy Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 4:23am
post #17 of 17

I think your cake looked nice! Especially with the decor surrounding and cake stand! :smile:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%