Question For A Friend

Business By blueydmom2004 Updated 14 Oct 2013 , 5:23pm by Paperfishies

blueydmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueydmom2004 Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 9

AI have a friend in FL who is getting married and only wanted 50 cupcakes. The place she was planning on using is charging her $4.00 a cupcake. Do you think this is too much?

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 9

if i was paying for them yes--

but no it's not an overly high price--

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 9

Probably not. I'm sure they are not just buttercream swirls for a wedding. $4 seems quite reasonable.

blueydmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueydmom2004 Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 9

AOk. She really only wants a simple regular cupcake with some chocolate seashells on some and some with edible confetti. This is why I can't do my own business...I can't charge what I should for cakes! Lol thank you all again!

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 9

Quality chocolate is expensive. So is the cost of living. What may seem simple is not so when it is your sole source of income. Tell her with the cost of paying a reputable baker comes with the peace of mind of having a quality product for her wedding.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 9

If there is decoration work on each cupcake, then she is probably getting a bargain. 

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenmat 

If there is decoration work on each cupcake, then she is probably getting a bargain.

A decoration on each cupcake can work out to be more work (from the decorator) than decorating a wedding cake. $4.00 doesn't seem too high to me at all. You could price out buying those sea shells on Etsy and put them on your own cupcakes.......to check the price.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 9

You probably should have provided more detail in your original post. 

If it was a cupcake with just a swirl of buttercream frosting, then I'd say $4 per cupcake is too much.

BUT, that's not what she's ordering.  She's getting cupcakes that are custom decorated.  There is additional ingredient/material cost for that, not to mention there is now extra labor involved.

There could also be an additional cost for the cupcake flavor and type of frosting she wants.

So, no, it's not too much.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 9

White chocolate shells take a good deal of effort to make.

You have to melt it down, pour it into the molds, pop it in the freezer, pop them out carefully, and I dust my chocolate shells with luster and petal dust, it's time consuming.

So $4 per cupcake with a white chocolate shell is pretty standard in most places.

I've seen decorated cupcakes cost upwards of $8 each.

The going rate here in my city for a standard size cupcake with a swirl of icing is around $3.00 each.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%