Fun Cake Technology

Decorating By lisaelanna Updated 11 Oct 2013 , 10:31pm by hbquikcomjamesl

lisaelanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisaelanna Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 8

Just something random and fun - 

I work in materials science and saw this in one of my newsletters that came out today.

Pretty neat application for cake decorating...I can think of so many things you could cut in addition to the petite fours they show...! :)  Enjoy!

http://ceramics.org/ceramic-tech-today/video-machining-cupcakes-and-the-materials-science-of-food

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 8

wow--how cool!

gave me an idea--i'll be right back with a video of me torting my cakes with my garden hose

:lol:  but don't hold your breath ;)

that is seriously awesome, lisaelanna

lisaelanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisaelanna Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 8

@K8memphis: You could probably get people to pay you just to watch you torte with a garden hose...that would be hilarious!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 8

:lol:

shwwwhhffphhhsshfthphthhhwheeewooh...splat

(sound effects ;)

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 8

AThat is really nifty!

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 8

AThat was awesome! I'm a former materials science engineer (now a stay at home mom) and I really enjoyed geeking out on that video! Thanks!!! Never knew I could combine materials science and caking!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 8

A:) I'd like to place my order for the home version, please. :)

PS. Keep hands away! :o

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 8

I remember back in the 1970s, when Popular Science covered then-new waterjet cutting technology. One of the pictures showed how a waterjet cutter could cut out foam rubber insoles at so many "feet per minute" (their pun, and I'm sure it was intended).

And on the "keep hands away" part, no kidding! I'm reminded of something the docents say on the USS Hornet engine room tour (at the old Alameda Naval Base): the steam going to the turbines was under so much pressure that a leak posed an amputation hazard (and hot enough to instantly cauterize said amputation); if they had to locate such a leak, they used a broom: when the bristles (or the handle!) got cut off by something invisible, they'd found the leak.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%