Freezing/defrosting/decorating. :-)

Decorating By kelebek91977 Updated 11 Oct 2013 , 10:18am by kelebek91977

kelebek91977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelebek91977 Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 9:25am
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I baked three cakes on Monday (a three tiered 9" 7" & 5") for my daughters birthday party this Sunday.

I crumb coated them, refrigerated, wrapped then froze them. I have brought them out of the freezer this morning and I have put them in the fridge to defrost. I was going to start decorating them tonight but they may not be defrosted enough? I'm worried in case they 'sweat' through the fondant with moisture from the inside if they haven't thawed enough.

Will it be ok to start decorating tonight for Sundays party? Or am I ok to leave them in the fridge until tomorrow afternoon and decorate them then?

There's' still time for me to stick them back in the freezer if need be!

Thanks for your help - ive never frozen my cakes before

3 replies
cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 10:06am
post #2 of 4

AWhy don't you take them out of the fridge then they will defrost?

kelebek91977 Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 10:09am
post #3 of 4

Hmmm, wont my buttercream be a little soft for the fondant once defrosted? I usually decorate my cakes from the fridge whilst its stiff. Tell me if im wrong. :-)

kelebek91977 Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 10:18am
post #4 of 4

....I think my biggest question is

do I take them out of the fridge all together to defrost, add another layer of frosting, refrigerate again for a couple of hours then do my fondant? (Will they lose moisture if taken in and out of the fridge?)

Or

Can I leave them in the fridge over night and do everything tomorrow??....im not sure at all what to do for the best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%