Like Pulling Teeth From A Dragon.......

Decorating By bubs1stbirthday Updated 12 Oct 2013 , 4:05am by bubs1stbirthday

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 2:23am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone - I am currently working on a modelling clay dragon to sit atop a castle cake - I don't need the dragon for about 4 months but I am not very good at crafts so practice makes perfect :-), anyway the question I have is does anyone know how I can connect the teeth to the dragons mouth? I am not having much luck trying to 'fuse' the teeth to the mouth. The mouth is only approximately 1.5cm long so the teeth are only small. Any help would be appreciated, thankyou.

6 replies
dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 3:33am
post #2 of 7

A dot of melted chocolate or candy melts? It dries hard and fast. I made a dragon for my grandson and after having the scales that ran the length of the body fall off over and over, I used melted chocolate and it stuck the first time and stayed stuck!

Good luck.

bubs1stbirthday Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 3:47am
post #3 of 7

Probably should make it clearer that the modelling clay is inedible clay that is baked in the oven. Thankyou for your reply though as that is really helpful for when/if I decide to have a go at making an edible one - that is actually a really good idea. Am thinking might have to use some sort of wire through the tooth and into the dragon's mouth or maybe bake separately and glue on.

Kdeabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kdeabs Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 5:05am
post #4 of 7

I had a similar project involving decorative bread that was baked. My group did a Finding Nemo display and I had to make the scary angler fish that chases Marlin and Dory. 

What I ended up doing was making each tooth individually and then inserting a TINY piece of floral wire into it, then I stuck the other end of the wire into the gum line. It held through the baking process and looks just as scary as in the movie. Hope this helps!

bubs1stbirthday Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 8:46am
post #5 of 7

Great! Thankyou very much, I have some floral wire but was just concerned that the wire would disintegrate. That is super helpful!

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 3:45am
post #6 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubs1stbirthday 

Probably should make it clearer that the modelling clay is inedible clay that is baked in the oven. Thankyou for your reply though as that is really helpful for when/if I decide to have a go at making an edible one - that is actually a really good idea. Am thinking might have to use some sort of wire through the tooth and into the dragon's mouth or maybe bake separately and glue on.

Oh, sorry! I saw "modelling clay" but read "modelling chocolate"! :oops:

bubs1stbirthday Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 4:05am
post #7 of 7

No problems dawnybird - your advice really was helpful if I make something out of a cake that has a lot of small detail to attach :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%