Small Business Owners Who Use Large Bags Of Dry Cake Mix Bulk..ex.dawn Foods ,gfs,or Sysko

Business By Kiddiekakes Updated 10 Oct 2013 , 11:12pm by Stitches

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 7

I think I may start using the bulk chocolate cake mix from Dawn Foods...All I add is water,oil and eggs...which is the same as what I do now with BC mixes...

I am asking any business owners who use these bag bulk mixes your thoughts on them...

Good cost effective instead of individual mixes?

Is taste comparable?

Do you get more out of it amount wise?ex...50 boxed mixes to a bag of bulk?

Thanks once again!!:)

6 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 7

I sampled the 50# bag of Pillsbury..just add water & oil.    I'm still on the fence about it because the amount of batter they say to use does not make a nice 2 inch cake. 

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 7

AI used the Dawn mix at a bakery I worked at, and I really liked the way it tastes and handles. It depends on your costs whether it's less expensive. If you bake from mix, I would recommend this brand. Just be careful to mix/scrape.

Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 7

Brandisbakes,,That's exactly what I was wanting to hear..I order from Dawn foods and am considering their BR mix...I am just waiting for the rep to give me a cost....

Thanks

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 7

Ditto on the remarks about Dawns cake mixes. I've used them a lot. It's a great product as most of their products are. Dawn does keep it's pricing very secretive!! In the last few years they've gotten better about it, but it's still tough. They give their own clients price breaks depending upon how much product you buy from them. But those price breaks don't come to small time shops.

I can't break out the math comparisons of their mix verses scratch because you first have to figure out volume it yields and I've never been able to establish that with a 50lb bag of mix. But you can do that math on that in comparison to a grocery store cake mix, pretty easily.

Taste test wise, I don't think any grocery store mixes taste as good as Dawn.

You could try Bakemark, they are similar. But I didn't like their cakes tastes as well as Dawn.

Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 7

Stitches,

I find that very frustrating with them...I email them for prices and it is a week before they get back to me...and when they do...they don't answer the question I asked...Grrrr...I know about that pricing too:roll:....Last year I paid $26.00 for a pail of 5kg white decorrice Fondant..This year she tried to tell me it was $32.00..I told her I was not impressed by the huge markup....so she came back to me with $28.00..Go Figure....same back and forth about icing sugar....I like their fondant though....very nice to work with and taste...Smells and tastes like Cotton Candy....

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes 

Stitches,

I find that very frustrating with them...I email them for prices and it is a week before they get back to me...and when they do...they don't

I used to work at a LARGE banquet hall. When you're a pastry chef in a position like that you magically have powers where they will answer you, very quickly too. But when dealing with them while I was working in smaller kitchens they took forever and I'd have to get forceful to get a price. Once I talked to the regional director about this topic and he told me that was their policy for sales staff......to protect themselves from selling to clients whom aren't worth their time....the little guy. Dead serious!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%