Can You Make Coffee Flavored Ganache?

Decorating By beckybakes617 Updated 11 Oct 2013 , 10:05am by beckybakes617

beckybakes617 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckybakes617 Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 6

I'm intending to use the ganache under fondant, has anybody tried coffee ganache? If so would they care to share the recipe :)

Thank you x

5 replies
stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 6

I've made ganache substituting Bailey's for the cream to get an irish cream flavor. Maybe you can try that with Kaluah to get a coffee tasting ganache. Or maybe use some coffee extract in the cream before heating it to get the flavor. Hope that helps a little!

Laurelj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurelj Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 6

AI used Instant Espresso powder steeped in the cream when I heated it up. Add as much as you like to taste before you add the chocolate. It does take a fair amount to get the coffee flavor to come through but it is quite yummy when you add enough. You can purchase instant espresso powder on Amazon. HTH:-D

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 6

I've done it by steeping whole espresso beans in the cream. Bring the cream to temperature, not a boil, just barely hot to the touch, put the beans in. Let it cool and then leave in the fridge overnight.

Then strain and make the ganache as usual. I do it with dark chocolate, and it gives a nice delicate mocha taste, not a really strong in your face coffee flavour.

Or you can use coffee extract, which will give you a punchier coffee taste, and save you some work.

Daisyblue002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisyblue002 Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 6

I came across a recipe the other day for an Intense Coffee Extract and it can be added to ganache, buttercream, batter etc. Haven't actually tried it yet but intend to give it a go with ganache. It's on the Sugablossom Cakes facebook page & is super simple to make :

https://www.facebook.com/notes/sugablossom-cakes/sugablossoms-intense-espresso-extract/396418893730932

beckybakes617 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckybakes617 Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 10:05am
post #6 of 6

Thank you for the replies :)

I think I may go with the coffee extract. Do I just heat the cream up as usual, add coffee extract before pouring over the chocolate?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%