Help!!!! Need Price Advice!!!

Decorating By sweetbritches Updated 9 Oct 2013 , 4:46pm by SystemMod1

sweetbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbritches Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 1:18am
post #1 of 30

I have done cakes for a few co-workers on their Birthdays in the past.   I have been asked to do a cake for a co-workers party and she wants to pay for it.  I am not an expert at this.  In fact I just do this for fun and she will not accept me doing the cake for the price of the supplies.  I have a picture of a cake that I have done before and she wants one like it.  I need to know what you think on how much I should ask her for.  Please help!!

Thank you for your advice!!

29 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 1:41am
post #2 of 30

AIf you are not running a legal business I would not set a price. if she insists on paying something, let her pay whatever she feels the cake is worth, either to you or to charity.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 1:50am
post #3 of 30

AI wonder how many more of these types of threads need to be shut down, how many more newbies need to be alienated, and how many oldies need to be exasperated before the administrators of this site start taking proactive, rather than reactive thread closing, moves to educate or direct newbies on these popular subjects of pricing and legality. The status quo can only suffice for so long. In the mean time we keep going in alienating circles.

jason_kraft Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 1:52am
post #4 of 30

AThings wouldn't be so bad if people (both newbies and veterans) stuck to posting on-topic and just ignored threads/posts/people they didn't like.

sweetbritches Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:05am
post #5 of 30

Sorry to hit such a nerve!!!!!!!!!  Thanks for the comment on WOW you did a good job for not being an EXPERT.  I promise you one thing I will not ask another question so that I don't offend anyone that is in the business.  Im sure you had to start somewhere.  Didn't you?    I'll take my NEWBEE A55 somewhere else!!!!!!

THANKS

vgcea Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:05am
post #6 of 30

ATrue. But I don't think it's about liking or not liking a subject. We've seen from these threads that a knowledge void exists. Ignoring or whatever current method were using-- that gets threads shut down--isn't effective. I keep wondering if there's a better way to orient newbies. A way that doesn't alienate those who've been repeating the same answers over and over.

To the OP. Do a search on pricing. Many threads to choose from.

vgcea Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:07am
post #7 of 30

A

Original message sent by sweetbritches

Sorry to hit such a nerve!!!!!!!!!  Thanks for the comment on WOW you did a good job for not being an EXPERT.  I promise you one thing I will not ask another question so that I don't offend anyone that is in the business.  Im sure you had to start somewhere.  Didn't you?    I'll take my NEWBEE A55 somewhere else!!!!!!

THANKS

No! Bring that a55 back. LOL. Your question is pretty popular and raised some latent issues that's all. Nothing against you or your newbie behind. Hahahaha.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:08am
post #8 of 30

AI would encourage you not to take vgceas comment personal. I assure you it's not a personal attack

The thing is that there are so many of these posts everyday. So for some it's frustrated. There are land mines here so to speak, you happened to step on one. Unknowingly of course.

This place truly is helpful. Just like in the real world there's all kinds here.

jason_kraft Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:08am
post #9 of 30

A

Sorry to hit such a nerve!!!!!!!!!  Thanks for the comment on WOW you did a good job for not being an EXPERT. 

My apologies...I didn't mean to offend, and my post was not referring to your skill but on the legalities of charging for cakes, which must be factored in when considering pricing.

If you're looking for feedback on the cake itself I would recommend creating a new thread, since in this thread you're just asking about pricing.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:11am
post #10 of 30

AWhat is the design? I'm not sure what the decorations are.

vgcea Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:16am
post #11 of 30

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

What is the design? I'm not sure what the decorations are.

I believe it's 2 witches with their a55es sticking out. lol.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:19am
post #12 of 30

ADefinitely see an a55, that's for sure.

sweetbritches Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:22am
post #13 of 30

I am deleting the thread just so you know!!  However it is very ironic that you knew what the subject was about in the title, but yet you had to reply with a negative comment.

sweetbritches Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:24am
post #14 of 30

Because I am a Newbie I posted my first reply towards the wrong person.  But that's ok Thanks for your help anyway.

jason_kraft Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:26am
post #15 of 30

A

I am deleting the thread just so you know!!  However it is very ironic that you knew what the subject was about in the title, but yet you had to reply with a negative comment.

Which negative comment are you referring to?

Also, you can't delete a thread after other people have replied to it.

sweetbritches Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:26am
post #16 of 30

Thank you!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:30am
post #17 of 30

AHonestly, I don't understand what upset you so sweetbrtches. There was a bit of cross talk, but no one was being rude to you.

I don't see how anyone could have possibly known you wanted us to stroke your ego regarding your skills.

Let me give this a try:

Oh wow!! You aren't a pro?!!! Really. That cake is adorable! What's on top? I can really only make out the sides. What size is it?

Even though I don't know any details of the cake (size, flavor, filling, top decor) or any of your costs (uou could live in Alaska where things are much more expensive) you should totally charge $50-60.

bilbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bilbo Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:32am
post #18 of 30

:???:

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:32am
post #19 of 30

A

Because I am a Newbie I posted my first reply towards the wrong person.  But that's ok Thanks for your help anyway.

I missed something

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:34am
post #20 of 30

AUummm...

jason_kraft Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:35am
post #21 of 30

Asweetbritches, it might be helpful to click the Quote button under the post you want to reply to (or just mention the name of who you are replying to) otherwise it makes it difficult to follow the discussion.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:45am
post #22 of 30

hahahaha, I love the internet.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:58am
post #23 of 30

ASigh.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:59am
post #24 of 30

AI would give you an answer, but I don't know the size of the cake.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 3:12am
post #25 of 30

Pricing a cake is much more complex than you obviously realise.  There are loads of threads devoted to this topic and the answer is going to be different for a whole lot of people.  What do your ingredients cost, how much time did it take, are you working from an approved kitchen, do you have insurance? to name a few. Have you thought about what could go wrong, not that I am implying in any way that you are going to do anything wrong, but as your co-worker is paying you for a product it is therefore a legal transaction and in the eyes of the law and the Food Authority (or whatever relevant body in your area), saying "I just do this for fun" means nothing and you are responsible for any issues arising from you selling this product.  Are you producing this from an approved kitchen?

How much does this cost is a bit like a "how long is a piece of string question", but with potential legal pit falls attached.  My answer to your question is not the price but some advise to educate yourself on the bigger picture of selling cakes (because that is what you are doing) before you go down this path :smile:

sweetbritches Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 3:23am
post #26 of 30

To Everyone:

Thank you for caring enough to share. I promise to weigh it carefully.

MELROSE315 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MELROSE315 Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 3:54am
post #27 of 30

ASweet britches....I really do love cc...it can be so positive and has so many great ideas and beautiful cakes, but when it comes to posting questions it gets down right nasty. I have looked around cc long enough to know when I saw your post I cringed, I knew what you were going to get, most people have some valid points, but is usually said as they look down their "perfect" noses.. I think a good place for you to start is to check with your state about the certified kitchen laws.. They can be really helpful in determining what you need to get started. I hope you are not discouraged.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 4:06am
post #28 of 30

I like the point that one person made.  Just be honest and tell her that you can't charge her for it but she can make a donation in any amount she sees fit.  I loved the sides of the cake - two witches flew right into the icing but don't understand the top part.  Are those dice.  Also cakes are based on the number of people you're serving but we can't tell if that's a cake for 50 or 8 so it's hard to judge.  The sides look very professional - the top looks like something you can get at any grocery store.  Sorry, but you wanted honesty.  I wish you luck with cake decorating - I started at my day job - practicing on the employees, then after a few years had so many orders I had to quit the day job and now I'm in my dream job (cake decorating).  Hope this also happens to you.

vervainangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vervainangel Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 4:17am
post #29 of 30

If you can't give the cake as a gift, and your friend insist on paying, then just charge for the supplies.  When I am doing a cake for family and they insist on paying me (I always offer family free) I just ask them to cover the supplies but I'm not sure if this is still considered selling a cake.  

It is always a good idea to check with local codes or to see if your state has a cottage law.  

When it comes to pricing a cake, a lot of factors come into play.  What I pay for my supplies and what you pay in the state you live in can differ.  Also what other bakeries and cake decorators in your local area charge for cakes also factor in.  We all live in different locations around the country and pricing also varies due to this.  Big cities vs. rural locations.

All this is to say, no one person really can offer real pricing advise to someone because there are so many factors that go into it.  It takes lots of research.

Good luck and don't get discouraged... it never hurts to ask questions!  It's all a learning experience.  I also believe if this type of question has been posted multiple times, instead of people getting tired responding to them, just don't respond/post.   Move on to the next thread that interests you.

SystemMod1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod1 Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 4:46pm
post #30 of 30

IF YOU DO NOT LIKE PRICING THREADS, STOP RESPONDING.  PERIOD.

I will start permanently banning members regardless of how long you have been a member here if you cannot participate in a helpful manner OR cannot show mature restraint by only participating on the threads that you can contribute to in a meaningful, helpful way.  

If you feel a thread was created by a "troll", FLAG THEM.  Let the Mods and Cake Central do our jobs to keep this a friendly, informative, and caring community.

Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%