Crunchy Outsides And Crazy Bake Times...

Decorating By TheDoughHo Updated 15 Oct 2013 , 6:55am by bestgamenews01

TheDoughHo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDoughHo Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 8

I've always envied those super thick cake layers I see in some bakeries...and was told that the only way to do so was do double my volume in each cake pan.

I did...I added a full batter recipe in EACH 9-inch cake pan...

I got the HEIGHT I was craving but they took FOREVER to bake and the result was a crusty, crunchy exterior to complement the soft center....

Hardly desirable....

So...any suggestions?

If I want those super thick heights...how do I adjust the oven temp and baking times to get the center baked through without creating a SHELL on the edges?

Thanks!

7 replies
LMC44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LMC44 Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 8

What temperature are you cooking at?

Daisyblue002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisyblue002 Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 12:01am
post #3 of 8

Good question by LMC44. I've just got my mud cake out of the oven now - it's an 8 inch cake that took nearly 2.5 hours to bake at 150c. It's standing at just under 4in tall (fingers crossed it stays that way). The top is a little crunchy but it will be removed when I torte it. These big cakes can take forever to bake.

Daisyblue002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisyblue002 Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 12:07am
post #4 of 8

P.S - if you use bake even strips (or a strip of damp teatowel and foil over the top) it helps ensure even baking and less of a dome on top - so less wastage.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 3:36am
post #5 of 8

Unless it's a bundt cake, most cakes are made up of multiple layers and are not monolithic.  Frosting or filling is placed between the layers, creating a nice balance between icing and cake.

When you bake single, thick layers [greater than 2" high], you do risk overdone tops & sides and an underdone center [if you haven't used a heating core or other means of distributing heat to the center].

I can't be bothered "finessing" overly thick layers when I bake.  I bake 2" layers in 3" tall pans, getting nice full but flat layers, and combine as many as I need to get the height I want.  The cakes bake quickly--about 45-50 mins.--and consistently at 325F.  I place an Ateco heating core nail in the center of all of my cakes, using multiples for very large cakes.

TheDoughHo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDoughHo Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 8

I used high aluminum pans, 9 inches, at 350 degrees. I felt like they were in there for EVER...constantly adding more time....

Should I drop the temp and bake longer?

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 8

What is "high"? 

For a 2" high layer in a 2" tall pan, you fill the pan about 2/3 full and bake at 325F until a toothpick/skewer/knife comes out clean from the center.  Time will vary based on the recipe & your oven.

If your pan is more than 2" high, I'm saying to NOT back a taller layer.  Just bake a 2" tall layer.  Measure 2" on the outside of the pan and "guess-timate" what 2/3 of that height would be when filling the pan.

bestgamenews01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bestgamenews01 Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 6:55am
post #8 of 8

You can talk with friends, brainstorming on the other hand, you can also check the Internet so the answer a little more authority. I think these are a good way to solve the problem. Good luck to you!

[url=http://http://www.mmo2buy.com/]RS Gold[/url]|[url=http://www.fifacoins2buy.com/]Buy Fifa Coins [/url]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%