How Do I Use My Star Shaped Cake Tin?

Decorating By cakebaker1234 Updated 8 Oct 2013 , 3:12am by mfeagan

cakebaker1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1234 Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 4

I want to use my metal star shaped cake tin (its about 7") to bake a fruit cake.  I'm worried that it wont cook evenly or that it'll burn at the corners.  Any ideas what to do?  I've thought of wrapping it in paper but just not sure.  Please help.

3 replies
mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 4

I'm not sure it would burn at the corners, but it may be dry. You may want to try baking it at a lower heat for a little longer. I'm not sure if that would work or not! If you do that, put a flower nail or heating core in the center of the cake, that way it will bake just as fast as the outside edges. When it's done baking, brush a simple syrup on it...especially on those corners. 

I would line the pan with parchment paper to help it release. I just put my pans on top of a big sheet of parchment, take a sharp knife and cut around so it will fit. You can trace it with pencil if you want to, then cut with scissors. 

Brush your pan with oil or any other grease and lay your parchment on the bottom of the pan. I then cut my parchment to go up the sides of the pan as well. I grease my pan and put the parchment around it. The grease helps it to hold in place. 

You won't have any problems getting it to come out of your pan. It takes a bit longer to do, but I'd rather not have any problems with my cakes sticking or breaking. I've had it happen enough, I'd rather spend the time with parchment paper. 

cakebaker1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1234 Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much, this is good advice.  I'm new to flower nails & heating cores (i just looked up what they are)...good idea to try this.  Yes am worried the points of the star will be dry or the middle underbaked.

I've a lot of grease proof paper so will line the tin as you say.  (My tin does not have a loose/removable base unfortunately.)

Very helpful.  Thank you.

If anyone else has any experience of using a star shaped tin to bake a fruit cake in I'd love to hear.  

(I bought some star shaped sparklers today to match the cake....am hoping to surprise boyfriend with it on his birthday in December) 

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 3:12am
post #4 of 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakebaker1234 

Thanks so much, this is good advice.  I'm new to flower nails & heating cores (i just looked up what they are)...good idea to try this.  Yes am worried the points of the star will be dry or the middle underbaked.

I've a lot of grease proof paper so will line the tin as you say.  (My tin does not have a loose/removable base unfortunately.)

Very helpful.  Thank you.

If anyone else has any experience of using a star shaped tin to bake a fruit cake in I'd love to hear.  

(I bought some star shaped sparklers today to match the cake....am hoping to surprise boyfriend with it on his birthday in December) 

You have a lot of time to practice! If it is in December, you could bake it a few times to see how it turns out. If it's dry every time, you may want to bake a square cake and use a template to cut it out in the shape of a star. :) 

I'm sure your boyfriend will love it no matter how it turns out! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%