Will Barbie Fall Over Backwards And Crack The Fondant?

Decorating By luvmykids2bits Updated 7 Oct 2013 , 9:57pm by johnbailey64

luvmykids2bits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmykids2bits Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 2:02am
post #1 of 3

I just got asked if I could do a Barbie cake with a sitting Barbie doll on it.  This was the best example I could find on the internet, and I have to admit I think it looks super awkward.  I kind of cringe thinking of making one of these as opposed to the endless creative possibilities a standing up Barbie dress cake lends itself to.

Looking at the design, I can't help but wonder how stable Barbie is sitting on the cake.  I don't have a Barbie handy, but it looks like she has to lean back to sit.  The weight of the fondant should help some to keep Barbie in position, but would she fall over backwards in transport and crack the dress?

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7179/7086544409_1b41d7edd0.jpg

2 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 2:57am
post #2 of 3

From memory barbies flex at the hips enough to lean forward a little - could you use some supports under the dress behind her back that go into the cake and use royal icing to glue her to the fondant?

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 3

I think  I'd make a kinda stiff wire wrap around her waist and to straight in to the cake, maybe even into the board. I'd do 2. Maybe you could tape a thin dowel rod onto her, front and back and cover it with the 'dress'. -- or popsicle stick up her back and into the cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%