Quick Question About Adding Liquid To Recipe

Baking By rebecca67e Updated 6 Oct 2013 , 8:13pm by rebecca67e

rebecca67e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecca67e Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 11

If I want to add extra liquid (coconut cream/milk, couldn't find the powder at the store) to a recipe, would I have to compensate for it by simply adding more dry ingredients (i.e. flour)?

Thanks!

10 replies
dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 11

Why do you want to add extra liquid? For flavor? If so, just replace some of your water or milk for the liquid you want to use. I don't think you can just add "extra flour" and such, willy-nilly. Baking is a science and, while I'm no expert at scratch recipes, I know that the ratios of dry ingredients, liquids, fats, even acidity all has to be balanced. Maybe if you share the recipe you're using, someone will be able to advise you.

rebecca67e Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 11

Yep for coconut & lime cake. I couldn't find powder at the store so I was going to add some coconut cream instead and hope for the best in terms of flavour.

And yeah, balance of ingredients was what worried me haha. I don't think I can just add cream and have the texture remain normal. I don't have any other liquids in this (very simple) recipe that I can replace it with...

·         170g self-raising flour

·         170g caster sugar

·         170g butter

·         1 teaspoon baking powder

·         3 eggs

·         40g desiccated coconut

·         1 lime (zest plus 1tbsp juice)

·         1 tablespoon of coconut powder - no.

Maybe I should just look for a new recipe.

dawnybird Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebecca67e 

Yep for coconut & lime cake. I couldn't find powder at the store so I was going to add some coconut cream instead and hope for the best in terms of flavour.

And yeah, balance of ingredients was what worried me haha. I don't think I can just add cream and have the texture remain normal. I don't have any other liquids in this (very simple) recipe that I can replace it with...

·         170g self-raising flour

·         170g caster sugar

·         170g butter

·         1 teaspoon baking powder

·         3 eggs

·         40g desiccated coconut

·         1 lime (zest plus 1tbsp juice)

·         1 tablespoon of coconut powder - no.

Maybe I should just look for a new recipe.

So there's no liquid in this recipe except eggs and 1 Tbsp. lime juice? That doesn't sound right to me, but like I said, I'm not a great scratch baker yet! There are some awesome bakers on here who will be able to advise you. Until then, I think you might want to look for another recipe. I saw, just the other day, some awesome looking recipes for coconut lime cakes. Search the recipe site here on CC for a start. Best of luck to you!

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 11

There's no liquid in my carrot cake except eggs.

dawnybird Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

Yeah, but don't the carrots add a lot of moisture, and is there pineapple? I'm not questioning you, really just trying to learn myself! It just looks like the OP's recipe doesn't have any "juicy" ingredients to make up for the lack of added liquid.

BatterUpCake Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 11

Yes the carrots do and I don't use pineapple. I was thinking maybe the coconut would but just looked at it and I see it's dessicated

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

There's applesauce which functions as a liquid. (I'm hoping to make it next weekend - it looks delicious!)

BatterUpCake Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 11

My truck cake was a carrot cake and I had some leftovers....yum

hotbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hotbaker Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 11

Looks like a pound cake recipe to me. Eggs are your liquid. I would ground some desiccated coconut and substitute it for the coconut powder.

rebecca67e Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 11

That recipe is just the vanilla cake recipe I always use, just with the added coconut and lime extras. So there's usually even a teeny bit less liquid, lol.

It's simple but I've never had a problem with the way it comes out :shrug: My grandma has been using it for longer than I can remember.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%