How To Build A 4 Tiered Cake

Decorating By Dscupcakes Updated 5 Oct 2013 , 7:19pm by celiazumbach

Dscupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dscupcakes Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 10

In a few weeks, I will be making my first 4 tiered cake. I'm a little nervous and any advice that anyone would have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

9 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 10

AHave you made a tiered cake before, nevermind four?

kelly kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly kakes Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 10

my advise to you is ensure that you use your dowel rods and separator plates when constructing, whether it be stacked or on stands.

melissamc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissamc Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 1:47am
post #4 of 10

ANot to steal the post but I am also wondering. The dowel rods are not long enough to reach the bottom of a 4 tiered cake. I was thinking of making it in halves and just stacking it on location. But could use any tips. :)

kelly kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly kakes Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 2:52am
post #5 of 10

you don,t put the dowel rod through the four tier. each cake have its own dowel rods for support to prevent the cake from sinking. the dowel rods should be cut to the height of each of the cake/tier.

melissamc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissamc Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 3:29am
post #6 of 10

AI know that much. I plan on using the thick straws. And cardboard under each layer. I saw am example on YouTube where they sharpened the dowel rod with a pencil sharpener and stuck it all the way down through the 2 layers of cardboard on a three tiered cake. I was wondering how you would do that on a 4. The rod is obviously too short. Is it just not necessary?

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 4:02am
post #7 of 10

Get a dowel from the hardware,, Wash it  REALLY WELL

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 4:28am
post #8 of 10

ADscupcakes we need more info to help. As AZ asked, have you made a tiered cake before?

What kind of tips do you need? How to stack a tall cake?

It's just like any tiered/stacked cake, the larger your tiers are the more dowels (or whatever internal support) you'll need.

Dscupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dscupcakes Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 12:52pm
post #9 of 10

I have 2 tiered but that's as far as I've gone. I'm just wanting to  know everyones tips 4 a tierd one.

celiazumbach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celiazumbach Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 7:19pm
post #10 of 10

AMost important to Make sure each tier is level. YouTube has a great lesson. How to make a wedding cake, learn how to level, fill, stack and frost, part 1 at hollysbakery.com. I work from my iPad and haven't worked out how to send the link. Hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%