Next Biggest Trend?

Decorating By petitetreats729 Updated 17 Nov 2013 , 6:58pm by JWinslow

CakeChemistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChemistry Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 5:01pm
post #61 of 136

APeople over here have been making cake push pops which I believe look messy and mustn't be very nice to eat - I always think they look like a trifle in a syringe. Gross. I've seen a fair few cookie baskets (made by moulding it over the underside of a cupcake pan), filled then decorated. Seems a nice idea but you would need to be careful with the fillings so it didn't absorb into the cookie and go soft, but also so it wasn't just a massive sugary lump (like a ginormous Oreo, I think the beauty if the Oreo is that it is just enough and leaves you wanting another). Maybe mousse but then it's more of a torte to me. I suppose you would have to be really careful with storage too so timing would be key. Petit fours over here (my understanding of them) are an afternoon tea treat or a nibble to have with coffee after a meal. They don't have to be covered totally in fondant/ganache/choc, they are just very mini, very uniform, very pretty and very tasty. I had some beautiful ones at Micheal Caines but he has a Michelin star so that's probably why. I agree with whoever said fondant is horrid. But I don't like really sweet stuff.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 5:13pm
post #62 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by CakeChemistry 

People over here have been making cake push pops which I believe look messy and mustn't be very nice to eat - I always think they look like a trifle in a syringe. Gross.

I've always referred to those cake push pops as "cake tampons." You're welcome.

CakeChemistry Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 5:27pm
post #63 of 136

AHa ha ha ha ha ha

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 5:37pm
post #64 of 136

Most of what I'm hearing about here is baking trends not decorating trends.  Yes, the 'hot thing'  may be macarons or cro-nuts or just gourmet doughnuts...but how does that translate into creating sugar ART?

At least with cake pops you can get creative with design!  How does one make a plate of donuts look like anything but a plate of donuts...no matter how attractively stacked?

I hope these trends are fleeting.  I am not a pastry chef!  I make really good cakes, but getting into yeast doughs and airy egg white confections are not my forte! 

On the decorating  side I truly hope that the chevron trend will end soon.  I'm sick of seeing that zigzag in everything from home furnishings to wall treatments. 

I went to a vintage flea market a month ago and I saw a chevron something in every booth.  Talk about dating yourself in a few years!  But that's just me.  Any new trends in cake decoration being touted lately?

bundlesofjoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bundlesofjoy Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 5:37pm
post #65 of 136

CRONUTS or DOSSANT are amazing and the latest and biggest trend!!! It's basically a croissant and donut combined!!! Its heaven! It's like a croissant fried like a donut and filled with amazingness!!! This is the cronut I had Sunday morning... filled with Cookie Butter and drizzled with nutella!

I've also tried the banana cream and nutella filled cronuts. They are pretty pricey ($4-7) also but I've managed to make some at home using this new product from Caljava Online its called Icing Genius (its a flavored icing concentrate) that I got at one of the caking conventions i've been too. Not too sure if they sell it on their site yet (But I am stalking their site for it lol) So yea I picked up some croissant dough and fried it instead of bake it and turned Icing Genius in to glaze on to my cronut. The Result: pretty awesome lol

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 9:50pm
post #66 of 136

I think the circle quilting is the new trend I'm seeing it everywhere.

Its been around but it seems to be picking up speed.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 9:52pm
post #67 of 136

AWhat is cookie butter?

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 9:54pm
post #68 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godot 

What is cookie butter?

I'm wondering this too.  I like cookies and I like butter, so this sounds tasty

Godot Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 9:59pm
post #69 of 136

AOr maybe some dairy has figured out a way to make extra income by marketing a kind of butter just for cookies?

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 10:00pm
post #70 of 136

Lol.  That reminds me of the thread about "cupcake flour"

Godot Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 10:00pm
post #71 of 136

AMe too!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 10:13pm
post #72 of 136

ACookie butter is basically ground up speculoos cookies. Those cookies have a lot of oil in them, but to me, they taste similar to a graham cracker, but oily. The cookie butter comes in a jar and looks like peanut butter. The original brand is called Biscoff Spread. Trader Joes sells it under their own label and they call it Cookie Butter.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 10:16pm
post #73 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecretAgentCakeBaker 

Cookie butter is basically ground up speculoos cookies. Those cookies have a lot of oil in them, but to me, they taste similar to a graham cracker, but oily. The cookie butter comes in a jar and looks like peanut butter. The original brand is called Biscoff Spread. Trader Joes sells it under their own label and they call it Cookie Butter.

Oh, gross!

Godot Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 10:17pm
post #74 of 136

AAha! Speculaas cookies. Too bad I dislike cloves!

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 10:18pm
post #75 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecretAgentCakeBaker 

Cookie butter is basically ground up speculoos cookies. Those cookies have a lot of oil in them, but to me, they taste similar to a graham cracker, but oily. The cookie butter comes in a jar and looks like peanut butter. The original brand is called Biscoff Spread. Trader Joes sells it under their own label and they call it Cookie Butter.

It looks kind of like peanut or almond butter with the cookies in it.  My sister in law is addicted to the Trader Joe's version.  She sent me a picture of it a few weeks ago. :)

Liz

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 10:28pm
post #76 of 136

AI don't believe there are cloves in it. I don't taste cloves anyway. Some people describe the taste as gingerbread. I like the Biscoff cookies, but I don't like the spread very much. It's very sweet and grainy. I can tolerate just a tiny bit. My daughter absolutely loves it though. It seems to be getting very popular. Bakerella has some recipes on her site using the spread.

It comes in both crunchy and smooth versions.

Godot Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 10:31pm
post #77 of 136

ACloves are a traditional speculaas spice.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 10:36pm
post #78 of 136

APerhaps it is a different cookie than what you are thinking about. It is spelled with a double o, rather than a double a. I checked the ingredient list of both brands and don't see clove listed. I suppose it could be one of those unlisted ingredients. I'm not a big fan of clove either and I don't taste it, but if you are more sensitive, than you might notice it. Perhaps a friend will have some and let you smell it. I know if you go to Trader Joes (if there is one by you), they will open packages to let people sample an item.

Godot Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 10:41pm
post #79 of 136

ASame cookie - americanised spelling and original dutch spelling.

Biscoff cookies aren't the same as speculaas/loos. Biscoff have a slight caramelly flavour.

Too bad there is no Trader Joe's where I live!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 10:49pm
post #80 of 136

ASorry I didn't know. I got that info from the Biscoff website. http://www.biscoff.com/indulge/biscoff-spread

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 10:53pm
post #81 of 136

ASpeculoos is the Belgian version, which is what Biscoff is made from.

Speculaas is the Dutch version, it usually contains primarily cinnamon but can also include clove, ginger, white pepper, cardamom, coriander seed, star anise and nutmeg.

Speculoos tends to be just cinnamon. They were an attempt by the Belgians to imitate speculaas but without the spices that were expensive back in the day.

sarahgale314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahgale314 Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 10:13pm
post #82 of 136

AI tried out the recipe and method for petits fours as posted a couple pages back on this thread. Worked really well!

http://citrusspicebakery.blogspot.com/2013/10/chocolate-raspberry-petits-fours.html

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3116935/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 12:19am
post #83 of 136

AI just read something about eclairs becoming the new macaron. Macarons haven't really taken off here in the valley, but a three hour drive to San Francisco will land you right smack in the middle of macaron territory, apparently. I tried some from Miette, and I can't say I was very impressed. I had been hoping to do something interesting and different for clients in my area, but I'm not sure how well macarons would take hold. Eclairs, now, everybody knows those! I could get behind that trend.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 7:20am
post #84 of 136

Oh man, cookie butter is yummy! Mixed into IMBC, and forget needing cake for underneath.

I don't think there's going to be anything as 'big' as cupcakes in the near future. One of the reasons they got so popular is because they are so easy to do.

Macaroons are still pretty popular here, but it's hard to find a good one.

I hope that cream puffs are the next fad, but I'm not holding my breath. I just really like cream puffs...

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 7:42am
post #85 of 136

Meringues

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 11:35am
post #86 of 136

Quote:

Hilarious, laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes.

CakeChemistry Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 11:35am
post #87 of 136

A

Original message sent by bundlesofjoy

CRONUTS or DOSSANT are amazing and the latest and biggest trend!!! It's basically a croissant and donut combined!!! Its heaven! It's like a croissant fried like a donut and filled with amazingness!!! This is the cronut I had Sunday morning... filled with Cookie Butter and drizzled with nutella! [URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3116087/] [/URL] I've also tried the banana cream and nutella filled cronuts. They are pretty pricey ($4-7) also but I've managed to make some at home using this new product from [URL=http://caljavaonline.com/]Caljava Online[/URL] its called Icing Genius (its a flavored icing concentrate) that I got at one of the caking conventions i've been too. Not too sure if they sell it on their site yet (But I am stalking their site for it lol) So yea I picked up some croissant dough and fried it instead of bake it and turned Icing Genius in to glaze on to my cronut. The Result: pretty awesome lol

Looks really healthy.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 5:50pm
post #88 of 136

I'm enjoying everyone's comments! 

Last night on Letterman he talked about the DUFFIN - donut muffin combo.  He said after 5 years of eating a duffin they'll put you in a cuffin!  haha

Then he said his kid's class made that up. 

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 8:00pm
post #90 of 136

ASomeone needs to combine a doughnut with a chocolate chip cookie with a brownie with a tart so I could have a little bakery orgy in my mouth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%