How Do You Price Rainbow Cakes?

Business By Stitches Updated 4 Oct 2013 , 6:28pm by jason_kraft

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 11

I've got my first request for a rainbow cake and I'm not sure how I want to price it. Technically, I have to make twice the amount of cake to achieve it. Because each color is a thin layer not a whole cake.

PLUS, it's 6 layers instead of the usual 3 I make for a celebration cake.

How are you all charging for these cakes?

10 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 11

I add $15 to my 8" double (base) cake price.   If you are in a high cost of living area/pricing, that could obviously be more.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 11

Do you give the client any reasoning behind your higher price for this, or just let it be?

ddaigle Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 11

They've never asked....If they were to ask  I'd tell them it has more servings plus colored layers.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 11

AIt's more work - you have to split the batter, take more time to bake since you're baking more layers, it's just more of a complicated cake.

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 11

Addaigle I love your posts. Your comments are always sensible and practical.

ddaigle Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks ropalma! :D

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 11

I would definitely charge more for these types of cakes!  They take a lot more time and you have to mix so many colors.  

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 11

AFor two flavors or colors in one 2 layer cake we charge a 50% premium. If a customer requested a six layer cake with 6 different colors I would probably triple the price.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

For two flavors or colors in one 2 layer cake we charge a 50% premium. If a customer requested a six layer cake with 6 different colors I would probably triple the price.

I can't imagine explaining to a customer that their 8" cake is costing them $250, simply because I had to spend an extra 45 minutes, at the absolute most, adding food colouring to cake batter and baking an extra couple thin layers. Those layers bake much faster, btw, so you really don't end up spending much time, especially if you do at least 3 at once.

Personally, I add on 1.5 hours of labour, that more than covers the cost to me and my hourly wage, and gives me some extra since I hate rainbows. I'm a grump like that. :)

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 6:28pm
post #11 of 11

A

Original message sent by scrumdiddlycakes

I can't imagine explaining to a customer that their 8" cake is costing them $250, simply because I had to spend an extra 45 minutes, at the absolute most, adding food colouring to cake batter and baking an extra couple thin layers. Those layers bake much faster, btw, so you really don't end up spending much time, especially if you do at least 3 at once.

Personally, I add on 1.5 hours of labour, that more than covers the cost to me and my hourly wage, and gives me some extra since I hate rainbows. I'm a grump like that. :)

Our basic BC 8" 2 layer cakes cost ~$50 and involve about 45 minutes of labor total so triple the price would be $150. If your regular cake is 3 layers then you would adjust accordingly.

The price premium also involves a hassle factor since it's kind of a pain.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%