Advice For Making Larger Sugarpaste/gumpaste Cake Toppers.

Decorating By Recluso Updated 3 Oct 2013 , 8:13pm by Recluso

Recluso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Recluso Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 3

Hey folks!

I've got a commission for a few weeks time for a 60th birthday cake for gentleman as commissioned by his wife. It's generally a nice straight-forward cake, but they have asked that I make a sugarpaste of the Scammell Scarab he has spent a lot of time and effort in restoring.

I've got a good idea on how I can make the trailer and wheelbase etc as the tarped boxes are being replaced with a 'wooden' A-Frame with a birthday banner on. However, I have a little concern about making the cab. I'm going to be using a sugarpaste/Tylo mix for the whole thing to ensure it dries nice and firm but have concerns that the cab may prove too large and end up cracking.

So far I've considered making the whole model a good week in advance, but by using a block of white to create the shape of the cab and allowing that to dry through before using a thin layer of green to make the 'painted' colour before adding all the smaller details.

It's my most adventurous model to date and although I have confidence that I'll be able to make it, I'm wondering whether my intended idea would be the best way to go about it. If so, how long would it take to dry out a piece of sugarpaste approximately 4in square to a point where it could be covered with another much thinner layer? Or, would it be recommended to make the whole unit out of the desired colour and maybe try and hollow some of it out to help with drying?

Would definitely appreciate some advice on how people would consider going about this modelling project to get the best finish.

Also, as it's intended as a keepsake, is it worth using a gloss spray when the model is completed in order to give it a glossier finish?

Many thanks!

R.

2 replies
Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 3

I would not make it from one piece.  I think the details will make it or break it.

Make it out of RKT , in at least two parts.  Cover that in chocolate melts, and then coat it over in thin fondant.  

Make your separate pieces (bumper, lights. door, mirrors) in a refined way and attach at the end. 

Recluso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Recluso Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 3

RKT = Rice Krispy Treats? If so, that was another option I'd considered to help ease up on the weight of a big block of fondant.

Was definitely thinking to do bumper/windows/lights etc as smaller details and I'd likely be brushing on some small details to really bring it all to life (i.e. some streaky reflections on the windows)

This is definitely helping. I've got about 3 weeks before it's due, but I'm trying to ensure I've got a really solid idea of how to do it all NOW so there's no panic down the line.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%