Perfect Fondant Edges

Decorating By GFliz Updated 4 Oct 2013 , 3:42am by cherrycakes

GFliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GFliz Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 2:02am
post #1 of 23

So I see many cakes on Pinterest and such that are fondant covered and have perfect edges. Every time I cover a cake in fondant the top edges are slightly rounded. I really want to make them flat on top and then have like a 90 degree angle going down the sides. Any ideas on how to make this happen?

22 replies
heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 2:33am
post #2 of 23

It is possible to do if cakes this way if one, you do not have very much buttercream underneath the fondant, and two, your cake is chilled enough to harden what buttercream there is there so that when you are smoothing you do not round the edges, three, your fondant is rolled fairly thin, and four, you are careful in smoothing and use two smoothers to make sure to keep the edges.

I have had success with the above steps enabling me in getting good edges when that was an important factor for my customer. Most of the time though, my customers are more concerned with their being enough buttercream on the cake in case the guest eating it does not like fondant. Therefore, most of the time I maintain the gentle rounded edge and keep the 1/4" thick buttercream. HTH

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 2:58am
post #3 of 23

^^^Yep.

You can also get a more crisp edge covering your cake in ganache first and refrigerating.

Also, please consider that some of what you see may be cake dummies, which have very crisp edges.

lesucreaufour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesucreaufour Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 3:03am
post #4 of 23

I made some cakes that have that sharp edge before...in buttercream and ganache. I found a tutorial on youtube and I also took a craftsy class...here's a picture...I'll try to find that tutorial for you :)

almostachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
almostachef Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 3:04am
post #5 of 23

Use two fondant smoothers, one on the side and one on the top. Work the side smoother up and top smoother toward the side smoother, bring them together, working all around the top edges. Is that clear?

lesucreaufour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesucreaufour Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 3:07am
post #6 of 23

Here's the tutorial:

GFliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GFliz Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 3:14am
post #7 of 23

Oh my gosh these answers are so amazing! I am self taught and really appreciate the help of people who are very clearly experts :-)

melodym38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodym38 Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 23

Also make sure your pans are straight. I read somewhere to Not use wilton's pans and to use "magic" pans.  It suppose to make a huge difference.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 23

There's a FREE (hour & a half) class taught by Linda Harden where she ganaches and decorates a round cake...

The design/decorating is basic, but everything she does leading up to it, is a must-see.

She creates a sharp edge and it's awesome...she uses 2 smoothers as mentioned above, but teaches the correct placement of your hands, etc.

Register (for free) to gain access:  http://tv.cakemasters.com/pages/course/portal.aspx?courseid=12

cakedreamer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedreamer101 Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 4:28pm
post #10 of 23

Thanks for this link, but I can't get it to go... all I get is the :55 second intro...  the links to the various segments are not active to click on... I registered...

FlourPots Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 11:27pm
post #11 of 23
Click the little pink box FREE, next to Linda's listing, not the actual video there, it's only a clip...
Then click LAUNCH...

From there, you'll be taken to the lessons....click "Layering & Filling" on the left-hand side, to start the first lesson...
Continue down, one after another.

You have to be logged in, of course...and if you ever want to re-watch it,  just click "My Courses", it'll be right there for you.
Radhika25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Radhika25 Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 2:48am
post #12 of 23

AMimi, Missing you on flickr.

Radhika

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 3:16am
post #13 of 23

AFlour pots- I hate to hijack this post but I heard you have a tutorial on making a football helmet cake. I have one coming up next week that I'm starting on and I can't find the post with your tutorial anywhere.

Do you mind sharing it with me? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

FlourPots Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 1:11pm
post #14 of 23
Hi Radhika...
I really have to pop back in there, it's been too long!

Whenever that tutorial is brought up now, I always feel like I need to mention that I made that helmet ages ago and I would NOT make the mask the same way today...it's a very simple one, so now I would try to make it look closer to an actual mask, and you should too LOL!

...and using the Wilton sports ball pan was fine for the size helmet I made, but when I made a larger one after that, using their soccer ball pan, I didn't like the result, so I had always planned, if I made another one, to use a stack of rounds and just carve the shape that way.
Well recently I ordered the DVD by Lauren Kitchens, where she makes the best looking (life-size) helmet starting from five 12" rounds...that IS the only way I would consider doing it now.
She's incredible...I've watched the carving section about 5 times already!

It's probably too late for you to get it, but maybe for the future: https://www.fancycakesbylauren.com/dvds.html
mbranko24 Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 2:00pm
post #15 of 23

AFlour pots!!! Thank you. I might be able to get it if I act fast. Question- does Lauren make the face mask? I actually bought one that is a youth size that looks good. And after all the carving is done on the 12 inche cakes how big is the cake? This is for a small party but I didn't want to fiddle trying to make a small mask out of gum paste and get the dimensions wrong.

FlourPots Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 3:00pm
post #16 of 23
No problem :)

Lauren does not make the face mask, and I have to be honest, initially I was disappointed...I had seen her awesome helmets before, and I couldn't wait to learn how to construct a mask like hers.

By the end of the disk I was singin' a different tune though LOL!

She explains that if you really want to make your own, you can push the purchased mask into about 5lbs. of modeling chocolate (I would use fondant+tylose or gumpaste myself), to make a mold of it basically, then use the mold to hold your snakes together to form a mask. (She shows an example mold)

She also teaches you how to attach the purchased mask to the board, NOT to the cake...I found this very informative.

...and as someone who has made a helmet (the larger one I mentioned above), where the gumpaste mask broke...I can tell you, I would've given anything to have had a real one!
I remember scrambling to try to fix it, and finally having to give up, and even though it was only for my nephew, I was very upset.
I vowed to always have a spare made, but having a real one would've been better!

As far as the size...she states that it feeds about 75...to me it doesn't seem big enough, but I always feel that way when I watch a DVD or an on-line class...the portions must be tiny!
mbranko24 Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 5:48pm
post #17 of 23

Thanks again FlourPots! Man, I wish i had time to order the DVD, I'll give it a go without. I have messaged Lauren on FB to see if the DVD can be shipped overnight. We'll see.

Thanks again

Erin

FlourPots Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 7:18pm
post #18 of 23

You're welcome...

I hope you can get it!

Either way...good luck with your upcoming helmet!

mbranko24 Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 11:23pm
post #19 of 23

AIt's on it's way!!! Overnight!!!!!! Yay!

Ok- question- I have 16 inch boards to go underneath but if I'm carving away from 12 inch rounds I'm thinking I might need an 18 inch board. I'm covering it in green like a football field and want enough of the field to show. What do you think?

FlourPots Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 12:37am
post #20 of 23

Alright!!!! So glad you could get it in time!!

I think you'll love it...

I have many DVD's, I've taken many Craftsy classes, I belong to Paul Bradford's on-line school, Pretty Witty's on-line school, learncakedecoratingonline(dot)com, mycakeschool...

I absolutely LOVE watching decorators make cakes...and I really adore every instructor, they do a great job, but of all of them, Lauren is hands-down the most natural on camera...the lady was born to teach and her skills are insane!

(Margie Carter from learncakedecorating... is also really wonderful)

Anyway...

Lauren uses an 18" base...it's actually 5 (18") round cakeboards glued together and wrapped in Wilton White Board Paper (which I had never heard of).

Her base is really thick, an inch or more.

She has room to spare on the sides of her completed helmet, but not much from front to back (because of the mask), so 16" is too small.

18" would show your field perfectly.

mbranko24 Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 1:35am
post #21 of 23

AThank you do much!! Heading out tomorrow to get 12 inch pans (thought I had them) and 18 inch drums. I plan on gluing two half inch boards together or doing as the video and getting 5 boards and putting them together. I bought 7/8 inch Chicago Bears Ribbon to go around the board.

Thank you again for your help.

I'm just a hobby baker and doing the cake for 2 dear friends - I hope they like it!

FlourPots Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 2:56am
post #22 of 23

Anytime :)

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 3:42am
post #23 of 23

To get back to the OP's original question, I watched a video (done by Jessica Harris?) where she flips the cake upside down and works the fondant down into a nice clean edge. I've started doing this and it has made a huge difference on my fondant cakes. I still like to use a good amount of BC as well but I use this method when the cake is really chilled and it works great! Hopefully someone knows of the video that I'm talking about and can post a link!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%