Help With Dulce De Leche And Hot Fudge Recipes

Baking By annebaligod Updated 3 Oct 2013 , 7:32am by annebaligod

annebaligod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annebaligod Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 12:26am
post #1 of 7

Hi guys,

I tried making chocolate lava fudge and caramel apple cupcakes last weekend and i am not quite happy with how my fudge and dulce de leche came out. i wanted it to be thick so i can decorate my cupcakes like these georgetown cupcakes:

but instead mine turned out runny and thin. Here are the recipes that i used:

CARAMEL

2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon water
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature (European style recommended)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (Nielsen-Massey pure Madagascar bourbon recommended)
1 cup heavy cream, at room temperature

DIRECTIONS

Pour the sugar and water into a large saucepan. Heat on medium-high heat and stir constantly until the sugar completely liquefies. Stir constantly and be careful not to burn the sugar. After all the sugar has dissolved, add the butter and vanilla extract to the saucepan and mix thoroughly. Once the butter has melted and the butter and sugar are completely mixed, remove from heat and, using a whisk, slowly whisk in the heavy cream until you reach a beautiful golden brown caramel color. Set aside and let cool and thicken for 5 minutes at room temperature. Refrigerate for 20 minutes to thicken further before you use to fill or decorate.

FUDGE
1 stick butter
6 heaping Tbsp. cocoa powder
1 can sweetened condensed milk
a few Tbsp. milk, if needed to thin out sauce

DIRECTIONS

Heat a small saucepan over medium high heat. Add the butter and let butter melt and start to bubble. Turn off the heat. Add the cocoa powder and whisk well to remove any lumps. Add the sweetened condensed milk and continue whisking.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I let them sit to cool room temperature to thicken but it still didn't turn out as i had expected. How can i thicken them? Would adding cornstarch help?

thanks!

6 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 12:30am
post #2 of 7

Both caramel and fudge are recipes that require reaching a certain temperature for the final product to reach the desired consistency.  I use a variation of Alton Brown's fudge recipe - he says go to 234 degrees, I always go to 236 or 237.  I can't remember the temp for caramel off the top of my head, but I think it is higher.

Maybe try some recipes which are more specific. :)

Liz

annebaligod Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 12:35am
post #3 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

Both caramel and fudge are recipes that require reaching a certain temperature for the final product to reach the desired consistency.  I use a variation of Alton Brown's fudge recipe - he says go to 234 degrees, I always go to 236 or 237.  I can't remember the temp for caramel off the top of my head, but I think it is higher.

Maybe try some recipes which are more specific. :)

Liz

when should i stick in the thermometer? because the recipes that i used says that i should turn off the heat before adding the other ingredients? are you saying that after i added the other ingredients i should turn the heat back on and stick the thermometer in?

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 1:24am
post #4 of 7

No, I think you need to try different recipes if these didn't work as directed.  You can't just use a thermometer reading from another recipe in the ones you have already tried.

Maybe do a Google search for some other caramel and fudge recipes to try.

Liz

lubbyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lubbyanne Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 1:30am
post #5 of 7

if you have sweetened condensed milk that can cover with water and slowly boil for 5 hrs keeping covered with water cool in fridge makes wonderful de luche carmel.  Hope you like it. use it all the time sincerely pat

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 2:05am
post #6 of 7

I hope you don't try boiling the unopened of sweetened condensed milk.  Most of the time it is safe, unfortunately it can be dangerous.  Yes, I know women have been doing it for years; but every so often a can will explode. 

Instead here are the methods Eagle Brand recommends.

http://www.eaglebrand.com/recipes/details/default.aspx?recipeID=4002

annebaligod Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 7:32am
post #7 of 7

do you guys have a suggestion for a recipe that i can drizzle like this on my cupcakes?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%