Nut Free Cake

Baking By countrygirlz Updated 28 Sep 2013 , 11:23pm by jason_kraft

countrygirlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygirlz Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 3

Hello, I am looking for a nut free cake recipe if anyone can help me.  I always get nervous with allergies and I just want to have a recipe that wont make me nervous to serve to people.  Thanks for your help!!

2 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 3

In my experience, most cake recipes are nut-free unless you decide to add nuts (e.g., carrot cake often has nuts, but it's not required) or a nut extract or paste. My niece is deathly allergic to nuts so I use imitation almond flavoring instead of real almond extract if she's going to eat the cake/cookies.

To avoid contamination by nuts (and almond paste, and peanut and cashew butters, etc.), I use a separate cutting board that can be sterilized in the dishwasher along with knives, spoons, etc.

Boxed cake mixes have to say if they contain nuts or are manufactured in facilities that process nuts.

I often try recipes that I find on allrecipes.com.They are reviewed and I stick to the 4- and 5-star ones.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 3

AIt's not the recipe you have to worry about (it's pretty easy to come up with a recipe that doesn't use nuts), it's making sure your production process and the production processes of your suppliers are structured in such a way to avoid cross-contamination.

I recommend talking to the person who has the allergy -- explain your process and how you avoid cross-contamination, and make sure they are comfortable with it before you make the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%