Barbie Cake Mess!

Decorating By mnurlife Updated 30 Sep 2013 , 1:08am by mnurlife

mnurlife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnurlife Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 4:22am
post #1 of 7

I was looking forward to making this cake all week. It all started when I made the cake last night, didn't have any parchment paper and my cakes stuck and crumbled apart. I subbed in a box mixe and my oven slightly overcooked them. I had the time set, went in early to check on them and of course they were over done.

I than manged to get the cakes together, the top of the cake barely staying together. I tried shaping the cake (I don't have a round mold) and it just looks like a giant cake with a slight curve on top. I tried doing the ruffle look on the cake and even that didn't come out as nice as I hoped.

Thankfully it is just for a friend, but I am so embarrassed. I really wanted to put this in my portfolio and I guess that's not gonna happen :(.  I'm not sure where I went wrong  I keep blaming my oven because I feel like nothing comes out right lately.

I've been wanting to start my own business for awhile  but I feel like I can get nowhere with this oven I have. I have a oven thermometer and it says the temp is right, but I'm wondering if its wrong. Sorry I just had to vent.

6 replies
mnurlife Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 7

Hi remnant3333! Thank you so much for your encouraging words! It means a lot and thankfully when things like this happen it makes me try harder :). I appreciate your comment. Do you know if I use my oven at 325, will my cupcakes still rise properly? 

Kittycakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kittycakes21 Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 7

It's ok we have all had those days! I've had a lot!! lol But yes, try what remnant3333 said, turn the temp down on your oven, they will definately rise, they will just take a little longer to bake. Check them after 15 min. Box cakemixes are hard to work with sometimes, especially when carving a cake. I recently made a princess cake, where the cake was a dress, and i usedbox cake mix.. it was a mess. but I managed to pull it off with a good IMBC. I hope you have a better day, and dont give up! 

:)

mnurlife Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 5:43am
post #4 of 7

Hi Kittycakes21. Thank you for the encouragement! I promise not to give up. I'm gonna mess around with my oven and temp to get this right. I'm so determined now.

On better news, I gave my friend the cake and it tasted great and she loved it.

Kittycakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kittycakes21 Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 8:36am
post #5 of 7

That's great!! I think sometimes (Especially if its a friend or family memeber)) the taste and thought are all that count. For me, I feel that when the cake is for someone close to me, it never comes out right because I dream up somethingbig, and doesnt quite work out. Lol i hate that. Try using a doctored cake mix recipe, they seem to work better than just plain old box mix.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 7

AYou don't need a mold to make this cake...bake in a a stainless bowl to get the shape you want. Also, get a thermometer for your oven to see the actual temp it's producing. Just don't assume when you set it at 325 you're getting that temp. And rotate your cake pans halfway through. You might have hot spots

mnurlife Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 1:08am
post #7 of 7

Hi Carmijok. I never thought about using a stainless bowl, I should of used that. I actually have an oven thermometer but I'm wondering if its not working. I will have to try rotating my pans and keep the oven temp lower. Should I also do that for cupcakes? One more question do you think I should try baking my cakes on a different rack or keep them in the middle?

Kittycakes21 I agree. I always want to bake big things for family or friends and while it turns out good, its never what I dreamed of.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%