Mixing Fondants???

Decorating By MustangMollie Updated 29 Sep 2013 , 12:59pm by MustangMollie

MustangMollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustangMollie Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 1:33am
post #1 of 7

ASo I've just switched to Fondarific and I'm completely loving it!!! But my local suppliers stopped carrying it and I bought or their remaining stock, so I have to wait for an order to reach me from interstate.

Has anyone here successfully mixed brands? One of the local shops sticks FondX but I've never used it. I'd like to retain as many of the working properties of Fondarific as possible. I only have colors, no white in fondarific at the moment.

I have satin ice & pettince at home already along with some store brand white. Should I add a bit of shortening and/or glycerine to these and then mix with Fondarific?

Just to clarify, these are not projects for customers ... Just cakes to help me improve my decorating skills and as a friendly gesture to neighbours and my daughter's teacher who broke her ankle last week.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences. Thanks! :)

6 replies
kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 7

I've mixed MMF and store-bought fondant when I ran out of MMF and didn't have time to make more before and it was fine. I say go for it!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 12:08am
post #3 of 7

Fondarific is nothing like "regular" fondants.  It's got a lot more fat in it and is more like modeling chocolate.

Yes, you can mix it with other fondants, but you have to knead them very well to avoid streaking.  The resulting product will be very nice, but act more like regular fondant [unless the ratio is heavier on the fondarific].

FondX is a fairly soft fondant and mixed with Fondarific it can get even softer--take care.

MustangMollie Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 2:03am
post #4 of 7

AThanks for the feedback guys! I'll let you know how it goes.

MustangMollie Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 12:01pm
post #5 of 7

AI mixed a little Pettinice with white Satin Ice (textured and covered with white lustre dust). The Pettinice made the Satin Ice far less prone to drying and elephant skin. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3110050/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

I mixed some Fondarific with Satin Ice and added shortening to the Satin Ice, but I think I added too much shortening though as it was a yucky mess but settled reasonably well after a few hours.

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 12:04pm
post #6 of 7

AThey look so pretty!

MustangMollie Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 7

AThanks :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%