Cake Servings Help Needed

Decorating By steffunicorn Updated 5 Nov 2013 , 2:51pm by howsweet

steffunicorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffunicorn Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 34

I need to make a two tier cake for 65-70 people but still undecided on what sizes to use. I was thinking a 12 inch and a 8 inch round. But then began to think it wouldn't be enough and thought maybe I should go for a 14 inch and 10 inch round instead. The cake is for a baby shower.

What do you guys usually go by...wedding cake serving size or party serving size?

Any recommendations on some accurate cake serving size guides

The cake serving size guide I've been using has been:

Round

6 in-12 servings

8 in-20 servings

9 in-24 servings

10 in-28 servings

12 in-40 servings

33 replies
BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 34
ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

Here is the chart that most on here use http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Unless you happen NOT to be in America - in this case you will get TWICE as many servings as listed here

When looking at any of these serving charts you really need to check what size they are using

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 34

ANot to mention that that cake would look horribly squatty. I don't go any bigger than a 6" for a topper for a tiered cake, and even that is usually too big for my tastes. A 4 is my preference, with a 5 being suitable.

AZCouture Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 34

A65 to 70 is at least a 3 tier for me, no way around it, unless there is some significantly giant sculpted topper or flower arrangement to balance it out.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 34

Same here - unless there's some reason to want the wide look, then I go small for the top.

jmullican6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmullican6 Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 12:03am
post #7 of 34

I have found this chart to be much more accurate than Wilton's.  

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

BatterUpCake Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 1:25am
post #8 of 34

Hmmm...in just about every thread concerning servings the Wilton Chart is recommended with some preferring Earlenes. I have NEVER seen another method recommended besides these 2.  But when I provide the link it's suddenly wrong to do so. I did not provide advice as to what size cakes to use or how it would look. I provided a link to a commonly used source. Am I unqualified to do that as well?

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 1:30am
post #9 of 34
BatterUpCake Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 1:33am
post #10 of 34

Yes they do...but I have been told by many one here including DD, Anna, and AZ that they use wedding serving sizes for all of their cakes...which is why I always provide that link.

I myself used Earlene's in the past but changed at the advice of many of the bakers on here.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 1:40am
post #11 of 34

AI like the wedding chart too. Maybe it's just the way I cut but I always end up with more servings than the chart indicates!

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 2:50am
post #12 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

Hmmm...in just about every thread concerning servings the Wilton Chart is recommended with some preferring Earlenes. I have NEVER seen another method recommended besides these 2.  But when I provide the link it's suddenly wrong to do so. I did not provide advice as to what size cakes to use or how it would look. I provided a link to a commonly used source. Am I unqualified to do that as well?

My comment was not aimed at you  - seriously you are making far too much out of this !!

It was just trying to highlight that a 'serving size' is NOT always the same  across the world.

I preface this next statement by saying..... NOT having a go at Americans!!  - but American portion sizing of most everything food related is GIGANTIC in comparison to what the rest of the world deems 'normal'

Wilton Serving Guide is twice what we would use as a 'standard' wedding portion - and we would probably use the wedding guide as our 'dessert' size.

Earlene's portion are even bigger again

AZCouture Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 3:07am
post #13 of 34

A

Original message sent by BatterUpCake

Yes they do...but I have been told by many one here including DD, Anna, and AZ that they use wedding serving sizes for all of their cakes...which is why I always provide that link.

I myself used Earlene's in the past but changed at the advice of many of the bakers on here.

Absolutely, every cake. And not once in all the years have I been doing this, has anyone complained, or said they ran out of cake, or anything to the contrary. The slices are generous portions of cake, and I barely finish a slice.

BatterUpCake Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 10:29am
post #14 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

I preface this next statement by saying..... NOT having a go at Americans!!  - but American portion sizing of most everything food related is GIGANTIC in comparison to what the rest of the world deems 'normal'

100% agree.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 11:51am
post #15 of 34

AJust to clarify, I don't use either Wilton or Earlenes charts.

I do typically link to the Wilton chart because it's easiest.

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 12:51pm
post #16 of 34

Check this out by icedjems.com! I thought it was so awesome I printed it out for my book and refer to it often!

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 12:53pm
post #17 of 34

Here the Cake Calculator I use all the time. It is based off Wilton servings - shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cakulator.cgi?pan=Round%2C+12"&option=2&option=Select+Cakulator&chart=wiltonWedding2Inch&chart=Select+Chart&calculate=Calculate%21&.cgifields=pan

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 1:12pm
post #18 of 34

I love the cake calculator!    I am told Wilton is the "standard" and probably because it was the first to create a serving chart--back in the day.    It is what I use but I know a lot of people that use Earlene's. 

AZCouture Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 2:29pm
post #19 of 34

AMine basically splits the difference between the two, erring a bit more towards Wilton.

howsweet Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 3:46pm
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_Kake 

Check this out by icedjems.com! I thought it was so awesome I printed it out for my book and refer to it often!

No!!! This is the silliest chart out there. I'm being so emphatic because I can't believe it's still circulating. It is not possible in the physical world  that we live in to get the serving sizes claimed on the left hand side on the round cakes. It's simple math..  On the 8 in cake and the 10 in , the numbers are a laugh. I didn't bother checking on the bigger sizes.

If you don't believe me and were absent all the days this was covered in school:

for the 8 in cake

A = π × r2

area= 3.14 x 4 squared

area=50

But the the slices are not 1x1, but 1x2, which is twice as big, so you divide 50 by 2 and get 25. Allow for some crumbs and 24 is the most you're going to get, not 28.

AZCouture Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 3:57pm
post #21 of 34

ABut it's so preeeeeetty!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 5:31pm
post #22 of 34

AThat one was floating around my Facebook feed this morning.

Kerry_Kake Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 6:52pm
post #23 of 34

Is this any better? Numbers are based on the cakulator! I just really liked the chart and now the numbers are more correct...or I hope!

howsweet Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 7:52pm
post #24 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry_Kake 

Is this any better? Numbers are based on the cakulator! I just really liked the chart and now the numbers are more correct...or I hope!

The numbers on the left are the same as the Wilton chart (and generally slightly under what is theoretically possible) so that side is fine.

But on the other side -- A 2x2 slice of cake is twice the size of a 1x2 slice, right? So the amounts on the right hand side are generally going to be about half of the ones on the left. While they aren't going to be exactly half because of the logistics of cutting cake, it doesn't make sense that if there are 12, 1x2 servings that there would also be 12, 2x2 servings, does it?

To figure out what is theoretically possible, it's the same formula as above, but instead of dividing by 2 you divide by 4 (the formula finds the number of square inches so the 1x2 serving size is double one square inch, and twice double is quadruple...hence dividing by 2 on the the left side and by 4 on the right side).

So the radius squared times pi is 3x3x3.14= 28 and 28/4 is 7.  But cutting 6 equal servings might be a more plausible recommendation. If I were making the chart, I would call it 6.

The others are impossible also (on the right)

8 in can't be more than 12

10 in cant' be more than 19

12 in -- 28

14 in --- 38

16 in--- 50

howsweet Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 7:56pm
post #25 of 34

That's assuming my arithmetic is right and I didn't check it

Kerry_Kake Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 8:05pm
post #26 of 34

I probably should have erased the 2x2 servings, not sure exactly what it is that Wilton does, but it's not 2x2, sorry about that! I used the cakulator for both sides for a 3" pan size. I have no idea why the 6" cake has the same amounts on both sides.

steffunicorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffunicorn Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 5:18am
post #27 of 34

Thank you guys for your help.And I have also seen that pretty serving chart but thought it wasn't accurate.

Ekaba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ekaba Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 3:53am
post #28 of 34

I just received an order for a cake that is to be two tier and serve eighty people.  I am thinking of telling her she needs a 6" on top and I can maybe go 10" and 12" for the rest.  I never made a cake for this many people before and I don't want them to run out.  Are these good sizes for 80 servings? Thanks!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 4:10am
post #29 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ekaba 

I just received an order for a cake that is to be two tier and serve eighty people.  I am thinking of telling her she needs a 6" on top and I can maybe go 10" and 12" for the rest.  I never made a cake for this many people before and I don't want them to run out.  Are these good sizes for 80 servings? Thanks!

I'd suggest a 6" x 9" x 12" for 100 servings.

Ekaba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ekaba Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 5:19am
post #30 of 34

Then she'd be getting extra 20 servings. Is there maybe a 6" 8" 10" that'll work? I think that 12' will be too much cake. If it was five or so slices over, okay. But 20 is pushing it. Sorry, but this is my first big order and I don't want to give cake away, but I'd like to provide them with a chart for cutting and get eighty or so out of it.(going by way of three tier) Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%