Great Tasting Sugar Cookie Recipe?

Baking By lisaelanna Updated 14 Dec 2013 , 4:04pm by JaeRodriguez

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 8:05pm
post #31 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaigle 

I use a tablespoon everywhere that asks for a teaspoon.    A teaspoon is just not enough (in my opinion).   Especially Royal Icing.

ddaigle: interesting.  This is a 'must try'.  Much easier than adding it to the dough.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 8:25pm
post #32 of 50

AI still put flavorings in the dough MB...put it in royal & dough

MBalaska Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 10:39pm
post #33 of 50

Quote:

I still put flavorings in the dough MB...put it in royal & dough

yes yes   I only mean that increasing the liquid in the dough, changes the consistency of the dough and has to be compensated for.  I don't ever mess with my recipe now that I've got one that is successful. Measure and weight everything exactly.

but..... adding more liquid extract to the RI, reducing the water, duh why didn't I think of that before.

cause You're the Sgt. and I'm the buck.....:duh:

jumjum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jumjum Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 5:46pm
post #34 of 50

A

Original message sent by ddaigle

I love mine...I did not like the NFSC recipe.   To "floury" for me.   This is mine:

2 sticks butter 2 c. sugar 1T. Vanilla 1T. Almond 3 1/2 c. Flour 1/2 tsp salt

Yes....No baking powder or baking soda! 

I do not refrigerate the dough...I roll out immediately...but after they are cut out, I put the entire pan in the freezer for about 15 minutes...or while I'm cutting out the next tray.  They do not spread.

I have a commercial oven...so my baking time is different.    I bake at 350 and when my timer goes off...I look to make sure the "shine" is gone from the top of the cookie.   That lets you know they are done.

I loved your sugar cookie recipe! do you think I can exchange some of the flour for cocoa powder?? Thank you :-)

ddaigle Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 6:41pm
post #35 of 50

AI have seen recipes for chocolate sugar cookies though I have never made them so I don't know how much cocoa powder you would need to use. Maybe someone else can answer that or you could google chocolate sugar cookies and see what they use for their ratios Let me know if you make them and how they tasted.

MB... You're a hoot!

ddaigle Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 7:53pm
post #36 of 50

ATo clarify....I goofed earlier in this post & left out the eggs...pleas re-read....there should be 2 eggs

ddaigle Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 9:48pm
post #37 of 50

Quote:

Re posting adding the eggs.   Sorry folks.

2 sticks butter

2 c. sugar

2 eggs

1T. Vanilla

1T. Almond

3 1/2 c. Flour

1/2 tsp salt

Yes....No baking powder or baking soda!   Don't refrigerate dough.   Cut out-freeze for 15 minutes on the baking tray and then straight into a 350 oven.   My time is for a commercial oven so your time will vary...look for shine to disappear on top of cookie. 

rexygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rexygirl Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 2:30am
post #38 of 50

AI did a blind sugar cookie taste test with my hubby and neighbor and of course the one with the most ingredients won haha!! But it makes a nice large batch of cookies. I divide and roll between plastic before refrigerating Modified from an allrecipes recipe 1 cup butter(softened) 1 cup margarine or shortening 2 cups sugar 6 egg yolks 4 whole eggs 2tsp vanilla (I like to add vanilla bean paste) 1tsp almond extract 7 cups flour 1tablespoon baking powder 1tsp salt

goldgame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldgame Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 6:57am
post #39 of 50

Welcome to  have more fun game waiting for you  http://www.gpors.com  http://www.mmorsgp.com   http://www.utfifa.co.uk  http://www.rsore.com

ddaigle Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 2:24pm
post #40 of 50

Holy Moly...that's a lot of eggs.   What is the texture of the baked cookie Rexy?

rexygirl Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 6:03pm
post #41 of 50

AVery soft more cake like nice and stable for decorating! When I was making the taste test batches I knew this one would b the winner, just so I would have to separate all those eggs every time:grin:

ddaigle Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 11:08pm
post #42 of 50

That sounds like the Lofthouse sugar cookies that walmart sells...that everyone I know loves.  

rexygirl Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 1:22am
post #43 of 50

ANever had those ddaigle I'll have to see if my local walmart has them and report back if they r close to this recipe

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 10:38pm
post #44 of 50

ddaigle, I've never made scratch sugar cookies to decorate, I'm wondering how long these stay fresh? If I bake them tomorrow for Tuesday is that a no-no? I'm excited that I found your recipe! 

JaeRodriguez Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 11:23pm
post #45 of 50

also, is that AP flour? 

Thank you! 

MBalaska Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 3:24am
post #46 of 50

I'm getting confused, (well situation normal I suppose)  My 'sugar cookie' recipe is much different from my 'roll-out / cut-out' cookie recipe.

Sugar cookies are made into balls and rolled in granulated sugar.  They are softer in texture & puff up nicely.

Roll-out cookies are for cutting -out cookies with cutters or knives.   They are firmer & flat.

rexygirl Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 4:22am
post #47 of 50

AI guess that's kinda like a regional thing....ie I live in southern New Jersey I don't say I'm goin to the beach today it's I'm goin to the shore lol tomatoe tomato I suppose but we call both what you describe as puffy sugar cookies and roll out style both sugar cookies in my neck of the woods :)

ddaigle Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 12:51pm
post #48 of 50

Jae....I use AP flour.   Mine sit out for at least 2 days because I decorate and the icing needs to dry.    After that I store in ziplocks or air tight container. 

ddaigle Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 12:53pm
post #49 of 50

MB....I think the roll outs tend to have more flour..???   There are probably tons of different recipes.    I like my soft.  Some sugar cookies are hard.   Just like gingerbread cookies...I like mine soft but my husband likes more of the ginger "snap" texture.

JaeRodriguez Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 4:04pm
post #50 of 50

AThank you! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%