Great Tasting Sugar Cookie Recipe?

Baking By lisaelanna Updated 14 Dec 2013 , 4:04pm by JaeRodriguez

lisaelanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisaelanna Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 50

ASo in the last two weeks I've made sugar cookies twice - once using the NFSC recipe from this site and once using a variation of it I found on a blog. Both times the shapes turned out great but the cookies tasted terrible! And there seemed to be absolutely no lee way on baking time - I had to remake a batch of cookies because I left them in one min too long and they were hard as a rock and tasteless (it's not like I burned them-I would understand a poor taste if that was the case). Of the batches that turned out 'good' several of my students threw the cookies away because they didn't like them (and I even topped them with Wilton recipe buttercream to try and get them to taste better...).

So I'm wondering if anyone has a sugar cookie recipe that both tastes good and doesn't spread too much? I LOVED LOVED LOVED decorating them but I can't bear to make another batch of cookies that, when decorated, look great but taste terrible. Thanks!!!

49 replies
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 50

AI found a recipe on allrecipes years ago, fiddled with it, and haven't needed to use another one since. I have tried a few, for family functions, but I always go back to my old standby. Maybe you could try using more flavoring in your batch. I almost never use almond extract in my cookies. Just double fold vanilla. My recipe also uses a few ounces of cream cheese. I haven't tried the NFSC recipe from here, so I can't speak to its baking or flavor.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 50

I love mine...I did not like the NFSC recipe.   To "floury" for me.   This is mine:

2 sticks butter

2 c. sugar

1T. Vanilla

1T. Almond

3 1/2 c. Flour

1/2 tsp salt

Yes....No baking powder or baking soda! 

I do not refrigerate the dough...I roll out immediately...but after they are cut out, I put the entire pan in the freezer for about 15 minutes...or while I'm cutting out the next tray.  They do not spread.

I have a commercial oven...so my baking time is different.    I bake at 350 and when my timer goes off...I look to make sure the "shine" is gone from the top of the cookie.   That lets you know they are done.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 50

ANo shine, eh? I've actually never heard that one - I always go by the "golden edges". I'm going to check for that next time I bake cookies. :)

Oh, and I use a recipe I got off the internet - it tastes really good and doesn't spread much (I like to cut them thick and make sure they are chilled before baking).

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/The-Best-Rolled-Sugar-Cookies/

ddaigle Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 50

Yes....Brandi...that "no shine" thing is pretty cool.   I can't see the edges in my oven...but I can see the tops..so that is what I use to determine if they are done. 

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisaelanna 

So in the last two weeks I've made sugar cookies twice - once using the NFSC recipe from this site and once using a variation of it I found on a blog. Both times the shapes turned out great but the cookies tasted terrible! And there seemed to be absolutely no lee way on baking time - I had to remake a batch of cookies because I left them in one min too long and they were hard as a rock and tasteless (it's not like I burned them-I would understand a poor taste if that was the case). Of the batches that turned out 'good' several of my students threw the cookies away because they didn't like them (and I even topped them with Wilton recipe buttercream to try and get them to taste better...).

I definitely think you did something wrong making that recipe. I just made it twice this week for the first time ever and I didn't have any similar issues you did. I will rave over this recipe just like the masses here have.

I think you must have measured your flour wrong, got it too packed into the cup. If you weigh your ingredients you'll never have that problem.

lisaelanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisaelanna Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 50

@Stiches - Thanks for the suggestion, but I converted all of the volumetric measurements to weights (except the vanilla), so I know that my ingredient additions were pretty precise.  I also have a thermometer in my oven, so I know that the temperature was correct (according to the recipe) also. Not sure what else the problem could be other than the recipe itself...maybe the brand of ingredients?  I'm using the organic flour and unsalted butter available from Costco and C&H brand sugar.  But I've made a bunch of wedding and birthday cakes with those same ingredients and been very happy with them (although I'm sure cookies are a different beast).  I did leave out the baking soda to avoid spreading...maybe that played a role.  Whatever it is, I think I'm just going to try some different recipes or maybe add more flavoring rather than try to tweak this one that's not working.

@ddaigle @BrandisBaked : thanks for the recipes - looking forward to trying them out soon! :)

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 5:26pm
post #8 of 50

ALeaving out the baking soda will effect the cookies. Baking soda aids in browning, so if you baked the cookies 'until golden on the edges,' they were WAY overbaked.

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 50

I tried a lot of sugar cookie recipes and this is a favorite for taste and it doesn't spread.  She also has a great chocolate cookie that doesn't spread.

The Vanilla Variation LilaLoa-

http://www.lilaloa.com/2012/04/vanilla-variation.html

1 cup butter or 2 sticks               (1 stick for half batch) 

1 1/2 cups sugar                           (3/4 C for half batch)

2 eggs                                             (1 egg for half batch)

1 teaspoon vanilla- *see note  (2 tsp.)

1 teaspoon orange (or almond) extract  (2 tsp.)

3/4 teaspoon salt                         (1/4 tsp. + 1/8 tsp. if you half the batch)

3/4 teaspoon baking powder     (1/4 tsp. + 1/8 tsp. if you half the batch)

4 C if you refrigerate the dough or 4 1/2 cups flour if your roll them out right away.

(2C if you refrigerate or 2 ¼ C if you roll out right away-half batch)

Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, vanilla, and orange extract. Mix well. Add baking powder and salt and mix again. Add flour 1 cup at a time. Again, IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE THESE COOKIES RIGHT AWAY, add 4 1/2 cups flour and go for it. No need to chill the dough. If you are not going to use the dough immediately-- stop at 4 cups of flour. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 3/8 inch thick. Bake at 375 F for 7 minutes. Eat and enjoy. Repeat as necessary.

Try baking at 6-6 ½ minutes next time, for ¼”.

* I (author) use butter that is only slightly softened. Mostly because I don't have the foresight to get it out until EXACTLY when I need it. This recipe is perfect for that. Get your butter out first and then gather the rest of your ingredients and you should be good to go.

** I  doubled the flavoring and thinks it lacks flavor, so increase flavoring.  I used equal parts vanilla and almond extract.

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 50

AI use the one from the cake journal site.

Stitches Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 12:49pm
post #11 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmPamCakes 

Leaving out the baking soda will effect the cookies. Baking soda aids in browning, so if you baked the cookies 'until golden on the edges,' they were WAY overbaked.

Just a quick note, those cookies call for baking powder not soda. Soda makes things spread more than powder.........so that will effect your results.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 1:00pm
post #12 of 50

I am not fussed on the NFSC cookies either.  I agree that they are bland.  I have been adding lots of flavour to my royal icing to jazz them up but I might try one of these recipes.  Thanks guys.

ddaigle Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 1:06pm
post #13 of 50

I use a tablespoon everywhere that asks for a teaspoon.    A teaspoon is just not enough (in my opinion).   Especially Royal Icing.

aem1029 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aem1029 Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 1:50pm
post #14 of 50

I use Bake at 350's recipe for sugar cookies. The only thing different that I do is use unsalted butter so I can control the amount of salt (and I like mine a little salty) and I use all Vanilla because I don't like almond.  When they first come out of the oven, they are a little dry and "floury" tasting, I stick them in the freezer because I feel that it changes the texture of the cookie, making it less dry and more dense.  Usually freezing would dry out, but it does the opposite for this cookie.  And EVERYONE loves them!

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 5:35pm
post #15 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaigle 

I love mine...I did not like the NFSC recipe.   To "floury" for me.   This is mine:

2 sticks butter

2 c. sugar

1T. Vanilla

1T. Almond

3 1/2 c. Flour

1/2 tsp salt

I do not refrigerate the dough...I roll out immediately...but after they are cut out, I put the entire pan in the freezer for about 15 minutes...or while I'm cutting out the next tray.  They do not spread.

I have a commercial oven...so my baking time is different.    I bake at 350 and when my timer goes off...I look to make sure the "shine" is gone from the top of the cookie.   That lets you know they are done.

I am going to try this, this weekend.  I usually only bake cookies for my family but lately have gotten a ton of orders in for Halloween cookies...and I'm having trouble finding a recipe that tastes great and does NOT spread.

Stitches Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 6:20pm
post #16 of 50

For me, the whole point of baking a sugar cookie verses a chocolate chip, oatmeal, etc... is that, it IS bland. I include it on sweets tables for the fussy eaters and kids who want to eat something pretty, but plain. I make macaroons and tons of other options for the people who like good baking.

But I do agree about punching up the flavor if it's served as a stand alone. Don't forget oils, like lemon, orange, peppermint work really well in flavoring cookies in addition to your standard extracts.

ddaigle Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 9:01pm
post #17 of 50

Paperfishies....let me know how they turn out. 

ShelbyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbyN Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 12:30am
post #18 of 50

I agree with the LilaLoa recipe -- I've tried both of her vanilla recipes and the chocolate and they are great!  They don't spread and are perfect for decorating!

Paperfishies Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 11:44pm
post #19 of 50

A

Original message sent by ddaigle

Paperfishies....let me know how they turn out. 

Are there no eggs in your sugar cookie recipe?

ddaigle Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 11:59pm
post #20 of 50

ACrap....sorry ..2 eggs

Paperfishies Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 1:03am
post #21 of 50

ANo problem. I wanted to make sure, I added two eggs!!! They taste delicious! I love them!

cakelove2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 1:33am
post #22 of 50

Quote:

2 sticks butter

2 c. sugar

1T. Vanilla

1T. Almond

3 1/2 c. Flour

1/2 tsp salt

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

No shine, eh? I've actually never heard that one - I always go by the "golden edges". I'm going to check for that next time I bake cookies. icon_smile.gif

Oh, and I use a recipe I got off the internet - it tastes really good and doesn't spread much (I like to cut them thick and make sure they are chilled before baking).

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/The-Best-Rolled-Sugar-Cookies/

Do your cookies keep the shapes with your recipe?

ddaigle Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 1:48am
post #23 of 50

AThey so not spread. Again. I freeze the cut outs for about 15 min then go straight to the oven.

Paperfishies...I'm glad u used 2 eggs. The recipe I left only used 1.

ddaigle Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 1:52am
post #24 of 50

Re posting adding the eggs.   Sorry folks.

2 sticks butter

2 c. sugar

2 eggs

1T. Vanilla

1T. Almond

3 1/2 c. Flour

1/2 tsp salt

Yes....No baking powder or baking soda!   Don't refrigerate dough.   Cut out-freeze for 15 minutes on the baking tray and then straight into a 350 oven.   My time is for a commercial oven so your time will vary...look for shine to disappear on top of cookie. 

Paperfishies Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 4:32am
post #25 of 50

A

Original message sent by cakelove2105

Do your cookies keep the shapes with your recipe?

I made ddaigle's recipe tonight and they kept their shape perfectly and they tasted wonderful! This will be my go to sugar cookie recipe from now on...I even added some pumpkin pie spice to make pumpkin spice sugar cookies.

cakelove2105 Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 4:39am
post #26 of 50

Quote:

2 sticks butter

2 c. sugar

2 eggs

1T. Vanilla

1T. Almond

3 1/2 c. Flour

1/2 tsp salt

Yes....No baking powder or baking soda!   Don't refrigerate dough.   Cut out-freeze for 15 minutes on the baking tray and then straight into a 350 oven.   My time is for a commercial oven so your time will vary...look for shine to disappear on top of cookie. 

When you say Almond, do you refer to almond extract (flavor)?

cakelove2105 Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 4:40am
post #27 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paperfishies 

I made ddaigle's recipe tonight and they kept their shape perfectly and they tasted wonderful! This will be my go to sugar cookie recipe from now on...I even added some pumpkin pie spice to make pumpkin spice sugar cookies.

I definitively  going to try it. Thanks Paperfishies.

ddaigle Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 11:40am
post #28 of 50

I use Almond extract...I buy the clear by the gallon because of my butter cream, but the regular almond extract (dark) will work. 

jumjum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jumjum Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 7:05pm
post #29 of 50

A

Original message sent by ddaigle

2 sticks butter 2 c. sugar 2 eggs 1T. Vanilla 1T. Almond 3 1/2 c. Flour 1/2 tsp salt

jumjum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jumjum Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 12:47am
post #30 of 50

Addaigle

Thank you soo much for your recipe! I was about to give up on sugar cookies until I found your recipe. Its so easy and I love that you dont have to freeze the dough for hours ( I not good at waiting at ALL). I even reused the left over dough several times and they came out perfect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%