Online Courses, Worth It Or Not?

Decorating By ashby1983 Updated 25 Sep 2013 , 6:40pm by smittyditty

ashby1983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashby1983 Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 4

AI am an at home, 30 yr old, self taught baker. I am very basic in my baking knowledge, but absolutely LOVE decorating cakes for people. I am extremely interested in learning more and working for someone a few yrs down the road (I have two young children I stay home with). Would it be beneficial to take some online baking courses? What are your recommendations for getting myself in a position where I'd be hire able?

thank you in advance!!!!!

3 replies
onetier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onetier Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 4

I'm addicted to online baking courses.  I was recently introduced to Craftsy.com and I've taken almost all their cake decorating courses.  I think hands on courses are invaluable, but I also think just hearing someone walk you through the process and seeing it and giving you their own tips is just as important.  I've already used several tips and techniques that I've learned from these online courses.  YouTube is also a great source of knowledge.

Once you start viewing so many, you'll be able to tell which ones are better than others.

Craftsy has a course on opening your own cake business.  That might be the one you would want to start off with if that's where you are headed.

cakekraze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakekraze Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 4

Craftsy is so worth it. I usually wait until the classes are on sale. You can watch them as many times as you want whenever you want.

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 4

Yes I love the craftsy classes. Have you taken the Wilton courses? Those are your basic foundations and you will learn lots of different mediums not just fondant. I think its very useful. They have a few free craftsy classes you can also take to see and get a feel if they are right for you.

I think someone wanting to hire you is going to look at your portfolio and want to see the variety of skills you can do, just like any job. So the more knowledgeable you are and the better you get at each of those skills the more they will want you. I can't speak for everyone, but if I was the owner I wouldn't have time to teach someone I would want them already skilled.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%