How Can I Do This?! Help!!

Decorating By miniflowercake Updated 27 Sep 2013 , 3:34pm by miniflowercake

miniflowercake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miniflowercake Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 10

I made a cake with spoon ruffled buttercream (I actually don't know what the real name is for that effect so I made one up) because I was making a cake to test a new recipe so I thought I would practice the spoon ruffled buttercream. I used recycled buttercream (leftover buttercream from the freezer) and since the cake was just a practice one (and since I barely had enough bc for the sides of the cake) I didn't do a crumb coat. I tried a plastic spoon, a large metal spoon, and a small metal spoon. The plastic spoon was the worst, the large metal spoon was the second worst and the small metal spoon worked the best. The ruffly look I achieved was terrible! It was not at all what I had in mind. Am I doing something wrong? This is my first time trying this so tips and advice would be very appreciated!!

Here are some pics of what it turned out like

9 replies
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 10

ADid you rewhip your buttercream before using it?

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 10

AIf you post a pic of what you want it to look like, I think you'll have a better chance of getting help on how to get the right look. Are you going for a rustic look?

miniflowercake Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

Did you rewhip your buttercream before using it?
No, well, it got stirred when I added food coloring, but that was just in a measuring cup. Would that be my problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedMoon 

If you post a pic of what you want it to look like, I think you'll have a better chance of getting help on how to get the right look. Are you going for a rustic look?

Here is a picture I found on Pinterest. I would only want the ruffles to be a little bigger.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 10

AWell, your buttercream would be smoother and easier to work with if you mixed it up well again.

CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 10

Such a beautiful cake! My first guess is that this cake would definitely need to be crumbed coated well before starting in vanilla butter cream. 

Then I would start with the bottom petals in the deep orange, and pipe a fairly big blob. To achieve the petal effect, you drag the back of the spoon through the blob in an upwards direction.  But to make a large petal shape, you would need to use a spoon, the handle of which is quite large, if this makes sense?! (I don't mean to be patronizing, but I presume it's the back of the spoon you were using, not the front.....?)

(For anybody who has no idea what I'm talking about (!), you'll find pics here of what I mean (but for the more popular "horizontal" piped petals):

http://cakegeek.co.uk/index.php/buttercream-petal-cake/

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 10

Good point! ^^

After the crumb coat, I'd do the orange - let that sit in the frig or freezer til it gets hard, then add the next layer of white. Frig. again and then the top layer. I pipe icing on and I think that might be easiest with this in terms of getting the icing on the cake. Disclaimer - Ive never tried this technique. 

miniflowercake Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 11:51pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeGeekUk 

Such a beautiful cake! My first guess is that this cake would definitely need to be crumbed coated well before starting in vanilla butter cream. 

Then I would start with the bottom petals in the deep orange, and pipe a fairly big blob. To achieve the petal effect, you drag the back of the spoon through the blob in an upwards direction.  But to make a large petal shape, you would need to use a spoon, the handle of which is quite large, if this makes sense?! (I don't mean to be patronizing, but I presume it's the back of the spoon you were using, not the front.....?)

(For anybody who has no idea what I'm talking about (!), you'll find pics here of what I mean (but for the more popular "horizontal" piped petals):

http://cakegeek.co.uk/index.php/buttercream-petal-cake/

Yes, I definitely will do a crumb coat next time (I was just too lazy to mix up another batch of BC for it, lol). I'm actually not quite looking for the effect that you included in the link, but they are very pretty! 

Ah! I found a picture of the design I would like it to look like! (I found this on Pinterest)

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 12:31am
post #9 of 10

miniflowercake Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goreti 

And thanks to everyone else for you suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%