Do You Think This Border Is Handmade Or A Mold?

Decorating By Cakepro Updated 24 Sep 2013 , 11:05pm by bundlesofjoy

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 5

I love love love the border on this cake!  Do you think it's handmade or a mold?  The cake was originally found on a Canadian wedding cake magazine site (I think).

4 replies
cakedreamer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedreamer101 Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 5

My vote:  a mold.  The symmetry is so exact, I'd be inclined to think its a mold, but a steady hand and the right shapes in a tray would produce the same finish.  Either way, it's divine!

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 5

The border beads and dots have exact placement so I think those are a mold.  Done by hand there is always a slight variation somewhere.  would love to find the mold.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 5

This photo popped up in another thread a while back. I think (and thought at the time) that the individual ovals and teardrops were piped on a flat surface with RI, left to harden, lustred, and then stuck to the cake. The round balls are pearl dragees stuck on around the ovals. 

bundlesofjoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bundlesofjoy Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 5

Looks like a mold since the symmetry looks so precised. Tried to look for similar mold and saw that Caljava Online has some molds for sale. Fondant Mold 224 has kind of the same look with the teardrop pattern and it's on sale. Hope this helps : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%