Trouble With Isomalt

Decorating By marya92 Updated 24 Sep 2013 , 7:52pm by costumeczar

marya92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marya92 Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 4

I recently bought some isomalt crystals that you're just supposed to melt down and then be able to pipie through a pastry cone. My problem is that when I melt them and fill the pastry cone the tip immediately hardens so I can't pipe anything. Is there a way to fix this?

3 replies
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 4

AI've never seen sugar piped. It's very hot and if you tried to pipe it through parchment, the bag could rupture and burn you.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 4

To pipe isomalt, it has to be very hot--320F to 340F--and you have to be very quick because it's actually pretty runny. 

You need to work in small amounts, use cones that are multiple layers thick, and wear heat resistant gloves because it will be very hot & there's a risk of burn.

Sometimes, if the parchment is silicone coated, you can peel it off of the hardened isomalt & re-melt.  Other times, you just have to chuck the hardened stuff and melt fresh.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 4

what are you trying to make or do with it? there might be an easier way to accomplish what you're trying to do, piping isomalt seems like a tremendous amount of irritation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%