Ever Had Just One Thing Bug You?

Decorating By mustangsallii Updated 4 Oct 2013 , 5:16am by iseesmith

mustangsallii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustangsallii Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 10

A[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3106721/width/350/height/700[/IMG]I did a wedding cake as a gift for a friend and I loved how the cake turned out except after looking at pictures of the cake the top tier is a tad crooked and it bugs the crap out of me that the medallions don't line up perfectly! Ahhh! Have you ever had a cake that you loved so much until you noticed one little "off" thing about it?? Bride says she never noticed it, but it just bugs me to no end that I didn't notice that the whole night of the wedding! [ATTACHMENT=1300]wedding cake.JPG (54k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

9 replies
BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 10

I just convince myself "I meant to do that and I usually charge extra" lol...not really but I have a good friend that says that whenever she screws up and it makes me laugh every time. You can't change the past but I bet you will check 5 times next time, so you learned

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 10

ASuch an elegant, beautiful cake!! But i can see how that would bug you.

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 10

I had a cake that I was embarrassed to send out (a freebie and a close friend, thank goodness). They took it to a restaurant for a celebration. Everyone in the restaurant loved the cake, including other celebration parties, All the patrons stopped by to admire it. So take heart, cakers are their own worst critics.

CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 10

Hi Sallie, your cake looks amazing! I know how you feel when just one little issue bugs the hell out of you, but you just have to let it go.  There's a bit of a perfectionist in all cake decorators -it's the nature of the business - and often it's only ourselves that can see this little "issue". Anyway, if the top tier looked ok on the night, is there a possibility that the photo could have been taken at an angle????!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 10

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 10

I think that is the same medallion I use on my cake stands!

This is a dummy cake. I am practicing in hopes of one day making wedding cakes.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 10

AThat's beautiful! And yeah, no one notices that kind of thing until it's pointed out. I hear ya though.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 12:06am
post #9 of 10

Not noticeable until you point it out!  Beautiful cake.  Every single cake I make causes me to notice what I did wrong.  Same with my house...I see peeling paint but no one else notices.  We are our own worst critics.

iseesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iseesmith Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 5:16am
post #10 of 10

I know exactly what you mean, but no one else ever notices.  I have learned that people often find it obnoxious if I point out the flaws in my work because, like I said, they don't notice them.  I always remember that I see cakes that are really poorly done, almost like a child did it, and people rave about how talented the person is!  Your work is fabulous!  Like someone already said.....now you will watch out for that in the future and you will just be better for it.  Really, you should be proud of that cake and don't sweat the small stuff!  It really is a gorgeous cake and I wouldn't have noticed the flaws without you pointing them out.  You Rock!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%