Adding Color To Sugar Flowers

Decorating By AirSoSweet Updated 24 Sep 2013 , 1:09am by AirSoSweet

AirSoSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AirSoSweet Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 3:21am
post #1 of 9

I'm making my first wedding cake for a friends sister and i'm still relatively new to cake decorating (the sister who ordered the cake knows this :) ) but the cake she wants is a 3 tier with cascading coral ombre sugar flowers.  So I've made the flowers (i know they can use much improving but i'm learning as i go so please be patient with me) but i'm not sure if i should try to add any color or shimmer or anything to them.  I realize at this point it will be hard to do since they are assembled, and she's not going for a truly "realistic" look to the cake - no leaves just bulbs.  Any suggestions would be so much appreciated! I hope you're able to see my uploaded image of the flowers - it's my first time posting so i'm not sure if i'm doing this right. I've also attached a link to the cake she used as a reference.

http://www.onewed.com/photos/show/romantic-3-tier-wedding-cake-with-peach-coral-blooms

8 replies
dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 3:30am
post #2 of 9

I think your flowers are gorgeous! Every bit as nice as the ones on the example cake photo, maybe even better. I guess you could always add luster dust or do some shading with petal dusts, but they seem nice enough as is. Just my opinion, for what it is worth.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 4:38am
post #3 of 9

AThe flowers are gorgeous!! You could add some petal dust to give it texture, but I rather like the ones you have!!!! So that's my only suggestion :)

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 6:38am
post #4 of 9

AThe flowers turned out great. The flowers in the reference photo are not arranged in an ombre fashion. I think yours will look really nice as an ombre cascade with the lightest at the top and the darkest at the bottom.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 6:43am
post #5 of 9

If you want the flat look, like in the photo, leave them as they are.  If you want them to have a bit more life then add some petal or lustre dust and steam.  Lovely flowers either way.

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 7:06am
post #6 of 9

ALovely flowers well done.

AirSoSweet Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone for your kind words! It's very encouraging :). I'm a bit pressed for time as they moved their wedding date from May of next year to two weeks from now so i'm leaning towards not coloring them if they look fine the way they are.  I may panic at the last minute and end up trying to do something lol. I'll look into petal dusts since I've not used them before.

CakeChemistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChemistry Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 9

AUr too hard on yourself, they are lovely. I'd leave them, if you're unsure then you might do it and be unhappy with the result. I have to tell myself when to stop fiddling at the right point! Good luck, I wish my flowers were as lovely x x x x x x

AirSoSweet Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 1:09am
post #9 of 9

Thanks CakeChemistry - you've got a great point there about knowing when/where to stop.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%