Fail Making First Time Macaroons. What Tip Do You Use? Why Is My Shell Cracking? When Is It Done?help!

Baking By Anna1211 Updated 3 Mar 2014 , 5:43pm by Anna1211

Anna1211 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna1211 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 16

Hi guys!

Yesterday was my first attempt in trying to make French macaroons. Unfortunately, the tip that i decided to use was too big so everything was pouring out of the tip quickly when i was attempting to pipe it on my cookie sheet. What tip do you guys use to make perfect circle macaroons? What tips are my options? Can i only use a circle tip for it? I have a very big circle tip at home and so far its not working. The macaroons that i made yesterday was very in size but i wanted to stick it in oven anyways to see how it would look, it was partly successful because it had legs. =) But, how do i know when the macaroons are ready? It was very hard to tell for me. Also, my top shell cracked very easily when i attempted to remove it from cookie sheet. I baked it at 285F. I notice some recipes use 320 some use 300 some switch temperatures in between. Which is right? What am i doing wrong guys? Please advise!!

15 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 16

You probably overbeat your batter if it was falling out of the tip at the beginning.  It gets runnier as you pipe, but it shouldn't be running out at the start.  I use a large round tip, can't remember the number - probably 1/2" diameter.

Liz

Anna1211 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 16

Anna1211 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 16

Alsom, did my color turn out like that because it was under bake or over bake? I see alot of dark spots. =( I mixed in the food coloring when my meringue just formed and used the hand mixer to beat it in. But i know some people like hand mix it during the flour and powder sugar process. Is my process wrong? and did that effect the color?

liz at sugar Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 16

Looks like they are overbaked - how long did you cook them?

Liz

Anna1211 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 16

AHi Liz! Ty for your reply and help. I baked them for 18 mins but they were stil stuck to cookie sheet and little soft in the middle part from the top when I poked it so I stuck them back in for 5 mins

liz at sugar Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 16

I think I bake mine at 285 for about 18 minutes on a parchment lined aluminum sheet pan.  I have found the directions and recipe from Helene Dujardin to be excellent.  If you google her name and macaron, you will find a magazine article with very good instructions (I think it is on the Tartelette blog).  I use my Kitchenaid with the whisk for the first part, and then switch to the paddle when adding the almond flour, and mine always come out very nicely.  Just stop using the paddle when it starts to look like flowing lava - it takes less than a minute.

Liz

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 16

AI doubt many people have perfect results the first time. My first batch ever was a disaster! Definitely something you have to keep practicing.

Anna1211 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 11:10pm
post #11 of 16

AMuch better results on second attempt! :)

liz at sugar Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 12:31am
post #12 of 16

Yes, now those are lovely!  What did you do differently?

Liz

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 4:59am
post #13 of 16

If they spread too much = over mixed

If the shells cracked = short rest time

I bake them at 300 for 18min on the silicon mat but if u use the parchment paper they took 15min (it depends on your oven anyways, so you just need to keep trying..)

Did you let them rest enough after piping? I usually leave them alone for 1h, just to be sure! it depends on the humidity of ur place.

sugarbabygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbabygirl Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 10:07pm
post #14 of 16

macaroons are super sensitive, you either over beat it or while folding in the dry ingredients you werent being slow and careful which cased it to break down the air you just built in the the eggs you whipped.

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 4:08am
post #15 of 16

Have a look at this.

This is where I learned the majority of what I know about macarons.  She takes a very scientific approach to all the variables in the process.

http://notsohumblepie.blogspot.com/2010/04/macarons-101-french-meringue.html

Anna1211 Posted 3 Mar 2014 , 5:43pm
post #16 of 16

ATy guys!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%