How Do I Store Fondant Covered Cake W/fresh Strawberries In Layer Cake?

Decorating By cheynekalai Updated 22 Sep 2013 , 4:58am by vgcea

cheynekalai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheynekalai Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 12:32am
post #1 of 6

AI made a cake w/ white almond buttercream and fresh strawberries in the layers. I'm going to fondant the cake so I was wondering if I can leave the cake out until tomorrow. Or should I store it in the refrigerator?

5 replies
Daisyblue002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisyblue002 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 12:58am
post #2 of 6

It was my understanding that fresh fruit in cakes needed to be refrigerated, but I'd like to see what others advise. Your fondant should be ok in the fridge; when you take it out, let it come back to room temperature before touching it.

buffie1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffie1977 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 1:27am
post #3 of 6

I did a chocolate raspberry truffle cake with fresh raspberry filling and a fondant petal design all over the bottom tier plus fondant flowers on top tier - had to refrigerate b/c of fruit filling and the fondant was fine after refrigeration overnight and in my fridge and then the Customer also stored it in the fridge before the event and reported nothing but glowing results!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 2:29am
post #4 of 6

Strawberries must be refrigerated or they can grow mold overnight.

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 4:51am
post #5 of 6

If they are patted dry I would assume it would be fine if they are covered both sides with frosting. Or if they are incorporated into the frosting. As long as there is a high ratio of sugar they should be preserved. This is my thought. Like cream cheese is dairy and needs refrigeration but with sugar it is fine to leave at room temperature. Strawberries grow outdoors and are fine its the water that makes them mold.

Just a thought. I don't do fruit for this very reason a tricky ?

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 4:58am
post #6 of 6

ARefrigerate please.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%