Buttercream For A Rustic Cake

Decorating By cft77 Updated 21 Sep 2013 , 2:47am by lorieleann

cft77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cft77 Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 10

Hello All!

I am making a buttercream wedding cake with a rustic look.  This will be my first non-fondant cake SO I AM A BIT NERVOUIS! I typically use IMBC for all under my fondant.  I am wondering if a crusting butterceam would be better to get the rustic effect?

I appreicate any advice!

9 replies
ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 10

IMBC is all I use. It will look great

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 10

AYep. All I use is smbc, same thing, and have done that a few times.

cft77 Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks!

Would you stack the cake and then do the rustic effect (im doign the technique where you drag the spatula horizontally)?  Its a 3 tier cake and I plan to transport it fully assembled. Ill put supports in each tier...should I do a center dowel through the whole cake as well?

Funny I make cakes quite frequently but they are always fondant!  I feel like a fish out of water with a buttercream cake!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by cft77 
Would you stack the cake and then do the rustic effect

No.  If you don't like the end result, it'll be harder to re-ice if already stacked.

cft77 Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 10

That makes sense. But if i ice them with the rustic effect prior to stacking im worried ill mess up the buttercream iwhen i do stack them.Should I refrigerate them or freeze them of a few minutes to harden them up beforestacking?

AmyJoPournoury Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyJoPournoury Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 10

AWhat is IMBC?

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 10

IMBC is Italian meringue buttercream

I always chill before stacking a cake. if you mistakenly stick a thumb in you should be able to smooth one spot with your spatula. 

I mark the back spot where the cake will rest and lower that side first, pull my hand out, then lower the rest with my spatula.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by cft77 

That makes sense. But if i ice them with the rustic effect prior to stacking im worried ill mess up the buttercream iwhen i do stack them.

You shouldn't mess up the BC if you use this stacking method I wrote in another thread (post #6)...

http://cakecentral.com/t/710889/any-tips-for-stacking-fingers-spatula-in-the-way

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 2:47am
post #10 of 10

i love to use SMBC, but will do an ABC (crusting) if the cake will be set on a patio or out doors without good A/C.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%