Model German Shepherd Dogs From Fondant?

Decorating By loubie lou Updated 7 Oct 2013 , 1:07pm by LisaPeps

loubie lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loubie lou Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 5

Hello

I am making a cake for a German Shepherd lover with two dogs to top the cake. Before I start faffing trying to shape fondant, wondered if anyone has done this before.

I figured shape from fondant and then use buttercream to try to create fur texture and paint with edible paints. They need to look realistic rather than being a sweet or funny version.

Ideas gratefully received! UK based.

cheers

:)

4 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 5

A[ATTACHMENT=1288]image.jpg (145k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

The attachment shows my attempt at making a German Shepherd. It's not amazing :S I sculpted it out of rice crispie squares then covered it in modelling chocolate and then added the "fur" using melted white, milk and dark chocolate. I wanted it to be edible in the sense that someone would enjoy it if they did eat it rather than pure fondant.

loubie lou Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 10:28am
post #3 of 5

Thanks very much. That is a fab effort your dog looks great! My lady has given me a photo of the two dogs I have to copy. I will prob use fondant as not used to other products, model each piece separately and let dry. The clever bit is how I cover and create the fur but your idea of melted choc a good one. I thought maybe royal icing as that will dry hard and then paint over...

loubie lou Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 12:17pm
post #4 of 5

Hello

Thought you might like to see how mine turned out! Tricky as was copying photo of the persons pets so very personal.

: )

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 5

ABrilliant! I bet they loved it :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%